F.A.A. Approves iPads in Cockpits, but Not for Passengers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KarmaPolice

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/f-a-a-approves-ipads-in-cockpits-but-not-for-passengers/

The Federal Aviation Administration said Tuesday that pilots on American Airlines flights would be allowed to use iPads instead of paper flight manuals in the cockpit starting Friday, as reported by ZDNet, even during takeoff and landing. But passengers are still required to shut down anything with the slightest electronic pulse from the moment a plane leaves the gate until it reaches an altitude of 10,000 feet.

The rule barring passengers from using a Kindle, an iPad or even a calculator were originally made to protect the electronics of an aircraft from interference. Yet pilots with iPads will be enclosed in the cockpit just a few inches from critical aviation equipment.

There is some thought that the rule forbidding devices during takeoff and landing was made to ensure that passengers paid attention. The F.A.A. has never claimed this. (If this was the case, passengers would not be allowed to have books, magazines or newspapers during takeoff and landing.)

The F.A.A.’s stance regarding devices on planes has been revised several times. Last month, in my weekly Disruptions column, I noted that the rules requiring passengers to turn off devices, like Kindles and iPads, seem outdated. At the time I spoke with Les Dorr, a spokesman for the F.A.A., who said the reason for the ban was that the agency would rather err on the side of caution when it came to allowing digital devices on planes.

Yet in a statement issued to The New York Times, the F.A.A. said that it had conducted ”rigorous testing of any electronic device proposed for use in the cockpit as an electronic flight bag, in lieu of paper navigation charts and manuals.”

The F.A.A. did not say why the testing that had been used for pilots could not also be used to test the area where passengers sit so they could use iPads and Kindles, too.

The F.A.A. did say it had limited the number of approved devices in the cockpit to two, one for each pilot. “This involves a significantly different scenario for potential interference than unlimited passenger use, which could involve dozens or even hundreds of devices at the same time,” the F.A.A. said in the statement.

American Airlines did not respond to a request for comment. Last week, the airline caused a kerfuffle when it ejected Alec Baldwin, a co-star on the NBC show “30 Rock”, from a flight for playing a game of Words with Friends on his iPhone while the plane was parked at the gate.

Half of my 8 airplanes flown in 121 ops, would "tick tick tick" in my ears every time a cellphone connected via call or text-
I've never seen it interrupt nav equipment, but have seen lots of interference over communications-
Until all airplanes have no interference, I bet we have the same silly rules for all aircraft-
For consistency if nothing else-

Maybe an airline could convince the FAA to test their airplanes and if all good- should make an exemption- leaving the carrier to market that particular difference-
"fly us, play with your iPhone on takeoff!"

I doubt they will

There were several suspected cargo smoke lights caused by cell phones in checked bags. Keep the ban...if you were that important you would have your own jet.

I'd rather have a cellphone fire happen in someone's hand then in a checked bag-

I'd rather have a cellphone fire happen in someone's hand then in a checked bag-

I should clarify that the "smoke light" was false in all cases...it was just the interference of the cell signal that turned on the light in the cockpit.

Half of my 8 airplanes flown in 121 ops, would "tick tick tick" in my ears every time a cellphone connected via call or text-
I've never seen it interrupt nav equipment, but have seen lots of interference over communications-
Until all airplanes have no interference, I bet we have the same silly rules for all aircraft-
For consistency if nothing else-

Maybe an airline could convince the FAA to test their airplanes and if all good- should make an exemption- leaving the carrier to market that particular difference-
"fly us, play with your iPhone on takeoff!"

I doubt they will

I've gotten the same thing my self over headsets, it seems to be worse with noise canceling units.

In the CRJ, pagers as well as Bose NC headphones will set off the smoke detectors in the cargo compartment if left on and they activate.

Passengers need to listen to the cabin crew during critical phases of flight (ie..takeoff and landing). Getting a passenger's attention while reading a paper or book is way easier than while the same passenger is listening to their iPod/iPad/other electronic device. Also, in an emergency, you are supposed to leave all that stuff behind. Think someone is going to leave their laptop behind, especially if they are using it?

No argument, just sayin....

Peace.

Rekks

I still can't understand how the flying public can be so dense that they cannot accept having them off for the relatively brief time that the plane is below 10,000 feet.

Who wants to be sitting in the front of the plane when the pilots reject just before V1 and all those iPads come flying down the cabin!!

Latest resources

Back