• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-18

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You were a patrol guy, from what the wooden tall ship era? You ever even trap on the boat in anything painted grey? No shlt there are marine squadrons on the boat, I was in an air wing that had a Marine squadron... What Marine squadron is in CVW-8?
"USN 18's have been bringing the hate to ISIS. The F-4 was as much if not more of an attack airplane as it was a fighter" You posted this, I was just replying what I saw on TV, that the Marines were also flying missions. I spent my time flying off the boat in the C-1A as sheep's company on board CVAN-65.

Cannot answer what Marine squadron is in CVW-8 and I doubt you can answer what F-14 squadrons were in CVW-14

You still to know a lot about CVs what is your background?

Last edited:
Unless there is another boat/air wing other than the Bush and CAG 8, or the Marines are flying from one of the shore based fwd deployed locations, it's all USN TACAIR.

The Enterprise dropped the A from the designation a LOOOOONG time ago. She was a fast boat, but hell of a burble and that gnarly angled deck compared to a Nimitz class.

Unless there is another boat/air wing other than the Bush and CAG 8, or the Marines are flying from one of the shore based fwd deployed locations, it's all USN TACAIR.

The Enterprise dropped the A from the designation a LOOOOONG time ago. She was a fast boat, but hell of a burble and that gnarly angled deck compared to a Nimitz class.
yea it was 1975, when we evacuated Saigon, and the answer to the question is VF-1 and VF-2 the first F-14 deployment. They flew combat missions covering the evac routes and did return fire at least once. Still what is your back ground?

BTW I remember you had to add 2"s when the island hit the horizon.

yea it was 1975, when we evacuated Saigon, and the answer to the question is VF-1 and VF-2 the first F-14 deployment. They flew combat missions covering the evac routes and did return fire at least once. Still what is your back ground?

BTW I remember you had to add 2"s when the island hit the horizon.

USN Hornets.

Stateroom was on O-3 level on big E, on that centerline Pway that went to the fwd ward room. Right above Airops.

2" to what and why were you looking at the island that close in the groove?

Last edited:
Back to the original question. All 3 planes are very good at fighting, but in very differnt ways. I've fought them all. My background is F/A-18 A-F. You have to know the goods and others of your jet and the one you are fighting. I know I'm slower, but have the alpha to out maneuver the hight T/W. I'll bait them into my fight, 50ft above the deck and as slow as I can get them, one circle flow. Once they go full burner and climb around towards my control zone I've got them. 9x lock with the helmet... Fights over, I win. 90% of the time a hornet can get the first shoot off, but will sacrifices good follow on BFM.

You will never get an Eagle driver down there, they loiter @FL500 and shoot everything out the sky before they even get to the fight.

2 inches of manifold pressure, duhh.
yet that is just a little, when we deck launched, from abeam the island we used 59.5" of MAP.

Back to the original question. All 3 planes are very good at fighting, but in very differnt ways. I've fought them all. My background is F/A-18 A-F. You have to know the goods and others of your jet and the one you are fighting. I know I'm slower, but have the alpha to out maneuver the hight T/W. I'll bait them into my fight, 50ft above the deck and as slow as I can get them, one circle flow. Once they go full burner and climb around towards my control zone I've got them. 9x lock with the helmet... Fights over, I win. 90% of the time a hornet can get the first shoot off, but will sacrifices good follow on BFM.

If you have helmet and 9x, what are you doing on the deck trying to bait anyone? Try that against a Viper guy that knows where your alpha limits are, you'll die every time. He'll bow tie back there all day long and you'll guns D until you're a rocks kill or he runs you out of gas.

One circle flow doesn't occur at the Hornets slowest speed on the deck. You can be in the "race to the wall" fight at 75 knots on the deck (I've done 73 knots and held it there Hornet v Hornet, he was at 72) but if you're outside of 1/2 a turn radius from your opponent you're in a one circle fight in which case you better be in that 120 knot regime. Go back and study your EM diagram, when you get a Hornet below 120 the turn circle begins to grow again and with it your bubble, and his play ground if he's behind you.

Baiting them to get behind you so you can 9x them when they plug the blowers because you're on the deck out of energy.... Ya TOPGUN does not recommend.

BTW, the Viper with a good pilot is just as good if not better than the Hornet in one circle flow. A Hornet pilot in a Viper will demonstrate that. Go fight the NSAWC/N7 dudes at NFL for demo.

Last edited:
Sig, if you want to talk the in and outs of BFM I would be glad to talk to you in person. Next time you're in Fallon stop by the fishbowl at N5. Im the only Marine that works there.

Latest resources

Back