Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowtimedriver

Marmott Stalker
How good of a dogfighter is the F-18? Can it keep up with an F-16? I think an F-15 would wax it, but I could be wrong.

It is a F/A-18, it is an attack airplane

It is a F/A-18, it is an attack airplane
Understand that Yip, but the USN doesn't have anything else for CAP. So I am asking what the capabilities of the 18 are as a dogfighter in the event that they would have to use it in this role.

Last edited:
Yip has no idea what he's talking about. The F-16 could just as easily be given F/A-16.

Having fought many Vipers and Eagles... It has nothing to do with the airplane and the man in the seat. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, it's up to the guy flying to fight with or against them.

As a point defense fighter, the AESA equipped Superhornet is the best thing out there that isn't an F-22. It just needs about 20% more thrust.

Last edited:
Yip has no idea what he's talking about. The F-16 could just as easily be given F/A-16.
Right, forget about the attack role, the only reason for an airplane to fly is to be a dog-fighter. It replaced the A-7 and F-4, it is an attack airplane. It has far as I know only a few aerial victories as a fighter and those came at missile engage range, but it is very good a blowing things up. Reference the USMC vs ISIS BTW Fighters are not a threat to an aircraft carrier, submarines are

Right, forget about the attack role, the only reason for an airplane to fly is to be a dog-fighter. It replaced the A-7 and F-4, it is an attack airplane. It has far as I know only a few aerial victories as a fighter and those came at missile engage range, but it is very good a blowing things up. Reference the USMC vs ISIS BTW Fighters are not a threat to an aircraft carrier, submarines are

USN 18's have been bringing the hate to ISIS. The F-4 was as much if not more of an attack airplane as it was a fighter.

USN 18's have been bringing the hate to ISIS. The F-4 was as much if not more of an attack airplane as it was a fighter.
Marines are flying off the boats doing the same mission

ALCM's launched from multi-role aircraft are in fact a huge threat to any naval vessel.
Subs can launch the same weapons,

As a point defense fighter, the AESA equipped Superhornet is the best thing out there that isn't an F-22. It just needs about 20% more thrust.
Thank you sir. I hope that others chirp in.

Marines are flying off the boats doing the same mission

Subs can launch the same weapons,

You were a patrol guy, from what the wooden tall ship era? You ever even trap on the boat in anything painted grey? No shlt there are marine squadrons on the boat, I was in an air wing that had a Marine squadron... What Marine squadron is in CVW-8?

Latest resources

Back