• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-16 to Blackhawk or Herc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
av8 isn't hard to maintain currency when you have to commute.Do you just spend a few days to get your flights out of the way?

Puremuscle - If I didn't have the kids It would be an easy choice. I'd fly the F-16. But if I had to do it all over again I'd still have the kids.

Psysicx - I am required six sorties per month. I usually give six days availability in a row and average a sortie a day. Since we fly 2-3 go's a day this allows me some leeway if one cancels/wx/ a jet breaks, etc.

I have a friend who went from flying the A-10 on active duty to a blackhawk with the guard (or reserve) in Alaska. He said he loved it, but it took awhile to get used to the extra speed of the blackhawk.

Jim

And don't tell me....He was happy to be able to out run flocks of birds now....

Nothing like an original joke...

and that was nothing like one....

BTW.. Thanks to all the lawn dart boys for testing so many AcesII seats. We in the Hawg community really appreciate it.

Hawg

All in fun boys...........

AV8,

I also stuggle with trying to juggle life around to the required sorties, but living near my unit makes it work okay. I imagine the commute for you is a pain...

Not to play too much devil's advocate, because I'm a family guy like you and the wife and kids are center of my life.

There is a question you need to ask, however. If you have to go to war, which airframe do you want to fly? Do you want to be doing CAS, BAI, DCA, or SEAD? Or do you want to be flying a spooky helicopter in on rescue missions? Or doing tactical insertions in a C130?

Another question--how long will it take to get current and proficient in a new jet? You have already invested a whole lot of your life into the Viper. I know some of your airline experience will transfer to a heavy, but I have NO idea who difficult learning the new way of flying in helicopters would be. The time you "save" not commuting might be burned in training learning your new job. Any of those jobs will likely require NVG and seat upgrades, and you know those will take time and energy as well.

Either way--appreciate your service. If you do leave the Viper, they are losing one of their community's best cheerleaders. Wish your whole crew the best either way you go...

War Eagle!

I love the F-16, but at some point I need to decide just how much flying that thing is really worth in terms of home sacrifices.
Have you considered a AFR Cat E job (Points Only)? Two main Cat E jobs are Civil Air Patrol Reserve Assistance Program (CAPRAP) and Academy Liaison Officer (ALO). You work out of your house and can set your own schedule. I did CAPRAP for 12 years in three states. Not much pay in it.

JimBo480 said:
I have a friend who went from flying the A-10 on active duty to a blackhawk with the guard (or reserve) in Alaska. He said he loved it, but it took awhile to get used to the extra speed of the blackhawk.

Jim

That wouldn't be T.R. would it?

You are correct sir! I lost track of T.R. after I left Alaska in 1998.

It's a small world, Jim now living in MSP

Thanks for the comments.

Albie - Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure it will take a while to get fully operational in a new frame. These are the details I still need to find out. I tried living at guard base and commuting to airline job. And in most instances that would be the way I'd go. However, In my situation it doesn't work as well. We have only two flights daily to get to the airline base, and with a two option requirement in our commuter policy it means I spend an entire day off at airline base for every trip I fly. It sucks.

To be quite honest, I'd probably get out of the military if this industry were more secure. I love flying the Viper but I'm missing my kids grow up.

TR4A - That's a thought, I may look into it.

Latest resources

Back