Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8instyle

Above Average Member
Anyone here ever transition from fighters to blackhawk rescue/hercs?

I am debating making the change for QOL and am wondering about the positives/negatives.

Thanks in advance

I went from Hornets on AD to Hercs in the reserves. It's ugly, but it's slow. ;)

I really am enjoying the C-130, it is a great airplane to fly. I wish now there was a way to get the Navy to pay me to learn to fly helos and keep flying the Herc.

Some pros:
- No Topgun briefs (2 hour brief/ 3-4 hour debrief for 1.2 flight time)
- I have seen more of the world in 2 years of the C-130 than I did in 10 years of the Hornet (Lithuania, Iceland, Switzerland, Bermuda and Spain were on two of my better trips last year.)
- No piddle packs
- For me (3 hour commute to either a fighter reserve unit or a C-130 reserve unit), reserves work out better going on 3-8 day trips rather than going to the unit and getting flights 1.5 hours at a time.
- I am kind of low time, so 56 hours in an 8 day trip helps build time quicker than the 9.6 I would get flying in R2508 in a comperable 8 day period.
- No shortage of flying money (read drill days). In Navy VR, we are always getting money from the other naval reserve components.

Some cons:
- 200' and 450 KIAS was my favorite kind of flying. You don't exactly light your hair on fire in the Herc.
- No BFM
- getting to the head over 75 pax on a 9.5 flight to Hawaii blows.
- A lot of the hercs are old and all have a lot more moving parts, so they can break a lot. It is a great platform that will bring you home with almost any failure, but you may be stuck somewhere for a while. I have had an 8 day trip turn into 14 (makes for a rather unhappy wife sometimes :mad: ).

Overall, I am happy with the change, but I would probably say go with the first unit to hire you.

Pugsley

I have bud in the squadron that flew Blackhawks first, then F-15 now A-10s. I can put you in touch with him if you want to PM me.

Hawg

PS Rolltide!!

Out of curiousity, why do you want to switch from fighters?

In about three years or so I may be joining the Navy or Airforce to fly fighters. Any info would help.

PureMuscle said:
Out of curiousity, why do you want to switch from fighters?

In about three years or so I may be joining the Navy or Airforce to fly fighters. Any info would help.

Not sure what his reasons are but I have a lot guys go to heavy's or trainers to allow for more free time with the family. As a reserve or guard fighter guy you are looking at a minimum of 6 days a month to remain current. The heavy squadrons demand about a 1/3 of that. The flying is great, but it takes time.

Don't hesitate for the fighters. It's worth it and you can always go heavy later, but you can't go the other way.

Hawg

I have some questions regarding the Navy/Air Force, but I'm thinking it may be worth making another thread for it.

I read some other threads about the differences between the Guard, Active duty, and Coast guard, but I would love to hear the differences (pros & cons) between the Air Force and Navy. I always hear a lot of knit picking going on between the two but its just fun and games. What are the real facts?

I fly in an Air Force Reserve squadron and we have (or have had) 4 former navy/marine pilots. Here are some of the pros/cons I here them complaining about:

1. Air Force is more restrictive on regulations and procedure. They laugh at the number of regs we have to prevent us from making decisions on our own. In short, they say we sweat the small stuff and are more uptight than the Navy/Marine side of the house. That's what they say anyway. There seems to be some truth to it as they all say it, but I have no personal experience with the gold wing side of things.

2. They say a boat tour is the best and the worst all rolled up into one. Being away from home for months is not great, but the flying you do off the boat is unmatched.

3. Plus for the Air Force is they say our jets are in MUCH better condition and maintained better than what they flew in the Navy. I would have to agree as I have flown a couple of their birds and they were rough.

4. Finally, no one will argue that the AF has the nicest bases, jets and good deals. We don't sleep on ships (or in tents if you are the Army). Most seem to say we get all the "good deals".

To me the biggest factor is the 6 month boat tour. If you are up for that then go with the heart. It's like picking what jet you want to fly. No matter what you pick you will always love it. For me, not so much on the boat thing. I have really enjoyed my experiences with the AF and wouldn't trade it for anything!

One more thing. You of you asked how much a Navy Fighter has to fly each month. I am not sure what the exact answer is, but any "tactical" airframe is going to require more time/sorties to maintain currencies.

Good luck with your decision.

Hawg

It's not that I WANT to switch from fighters, it's that I live at my airline base because there are not enough commutable flights at my guard base and I have been given the opportunity to switch to a guard unit that is also the same location as the airline base. That would be no commute, less time required at the guard, and more time with my wife, 6 year old, and 3 year old boys.

I love the F-16, but at some point I need to decide just how much flying that thing is really worth in terms of home sacrifices. I leave home for a week every month to do the guard thing. If I took the other job I'd be home virtually every night.

Thanks a lot for the replies Hawg and Av8.

Av8, I understand the responsibilties for sure. I believe if I were in your position I would make the same move. If you didn't have a family, do you think you would stay the fighter route?

Latest resources

Back