• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eye surgery?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a spouse who just went through Southwest's new hire orientation on Monday, I recall this subject coming up. The FAA accepts LASIK for its pilots, but Southwest said you'll be taking 6 months of unpaid vacation if you do. I don't know what Southwest's regulations are if you have the procedure done prior to getting hired, so you might want to call them (or any other company your applying to!) and ask them.

By the way, I found this info on another web site:

"Commercial airline pilots or those planning to become pilots should be aware that airlines set their own hiring policies with respect to LASIK. Kenneth Martin, MD with the Air line Pilots Association, states that the airlines' policies toward LASIK are "evolving" and that more and more pilots are having it done. By contrast a job recruiter for Air, Inc. states that most companies will not hire pilots who have had any surgery on their eyes, regardless of whether or not such a policy officially exists.

In sum, commercial airline pilots should check with their current employers to learn their policies, official or unofficial, about LASIK. Those considering becoming commercial airline pilots should be aware that the decision to have LASIK might affect their careers. Potential pilots should carefully check with airlines that they would consider working for prior to making any decision about surgery. "

Best of Luck!

My brother who works for American ( not his fault, he was Air Cal ) had it done a couple of years ago with no need to take time off. I don't know American's exact policy though.

Typhoonpilot

I had it done...

no need for time off. I'm very pleased with the outcome even though I've regressed a bit and have to wear glasses when I fly.

Latest resources

Back