Eye Evaluation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

silver02ex

This morning I went in to apply for a 1st class medical (it's my 3rd one in my life) In the past I have done many 3rd class and a few 2nd class. The only concern the Dr. had was my eye vision. I do NOT wear any glasses or contacts My far vision was 20/20 but my near vision was something like 20/50. He asked if I ever had an eye exam, and I told him no since I never had any problems with my medical or had problems seeing. He said that there's nothing wrong with this exam and said i should go get an eye exam down the road. while I'm waiting for my paper work to get done, the reception lady told me that the Dr. would not to sign my medical certicate until I go get an eye evaluation. I had no idea why he would not since he just told me that there was no problems with the exam. So now i'm really worried about this. Has anyone ever been in this situation?

So you get glasses or contacts and you have 20/20, big whoop. Atleast you don't have to bank your 20/20 Class 1 hopes on LASIK or something similar like some of us.

My right eye is 20/20, and the best I've done with my left eye is around 20/30ish with contacts...so how do you think I feel.

Your doctor is a creep and couldn't tell you to your face he just took your $70-100 to not sign your medical and make your life miserable, and then have you come back and pay another $70-100.

gkrangers said:
So you get glasses or contacts and you have 20/20, big whoop. Atleast you don't have to bank your 20/20 Class 1 hopes on LASIK or something similar like some of us.

I'm afraid thats what I'm going to have to resort to. I barely scooted pass my last 2nd class because of vision problems.

Metro752 said:
Your doctor is a creep and couldn't tell you to your face he just took your $70-100 to not sign your medical and make your life miserable, and then have you come back and pay another $70-100.

I've gotta agree with Metro here. Your AME is guilty of douchbaggery of the highest order if he wouldn't tell you himself in the exam. 20/50 near vision? Lemme guess, you're pushing 40, right? Go to the dollar store and drop one on a pair of cheaters, go somewhere else for your next medical, and make sure to tell that ahole AME why he's never going to see you again.

Metro752 said:

I agree, what a jerk to have his receptionist inform you he wouldn't sign it.

I reccomend having a certified eye doc (optometrist or opthalmologist) fill out the FAA Form 8500-7 and bring it back to this guy or someones. Either way you are going to spend the money for another physical. Sounds like you did get low-balled though...sorry man
This form is the certified eye evaluation form and can be given to the AME and he won't need to conduct an eye exam. You can find this form on the FAA website.

Let me pass this along for everyone. I`ve had probably 40 FAA physicals. I use to really sweat the eye exam. I finally gave up and went to as opthamologist, got a complete eye exam, took the perscription, had some glasses made and that was that. As a young engineer/copilot I use to laugh at the old guys with about 3 sets of glasses...now I are one.

JSky26 said:
I reccomend having a certified eye doc (optometrist or opthalmologist) fill out the FAA Form 8500-7 and bring it back to this guy or someones. Either way you are going to spend the money for another physical. Sounds like you did get low-balled though...sorry man
This form is the certified eye evaluation form and can be given to the AME and he won't need to conduct an eye exam. You can find this form on the FAA website.

Yeah he gave me the FAA Report of Eye Evaluation form that I'm suppose to bring to an eye doctor next week. I was told that once i get that done and it looks good he'll sign the medical.

silver02ex said:
Yeah he gave me the FAA Report of Eye Evaluation form that I'm suppose to bring to an eye doctor next week. I was told that once i get that done and it looks good he'll sign the medical.

Well, that's better. I thought he was going to ding you for another fee.

Latest resources

Back