Eye charts and the medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

Does anyone know what size font you need to make a 20/20 eye chart and what dist you need to stand from the paper?

I'm one of those people that on good days has 20/20 vision and others its slightly worse. A few years ago I got glasses so incase I go to for my medical and its a bad day i don't have to go back after i get glasses. Once in the past 3 years I needed the glasses for the 20/20 requirement and they put "must wear corrective lens" on my medical. Every other time I've been OK and there is no note on my medical. Last time I did my first class I printed some eye charts I found on the web and used them the week before my medical and didn't need the glasses.

If you've been going to the same guy for 3 years and haven't memorized the eye chart, I don't know what to say

The place I go has the machine you have to look into, sorry can't help 'ya. Check FAR 67 it may say in there

Last edited:
actually I moved last year (had the chart at the place in syr down pat) but this will be the second time at the new place and I did't get a chance to memorize it last time.

you can get some charts off the web to test yourself prior to getting your medical to see if you're going to need the glasses beofre spending the money.

But, when in doubt DEFPOTEC (20/20 on letter charts) :)

moxiepilot said:
you can get some charts off the web to test yourself prior to getting your medical to see if you're going to need the glasses beofre spending the money.

But, when in doubt DEFPOTEC (20/20 on letter charts) :)

Actually DEFPOTEC is the old letter eye chart. The new one has 4 20/20 lines, with the first one being EVOTZ2...:)

LearLove said:
Does anyone know what size font you need to make a 20/20 eye chart and what dist you need to stand from the paper?

I'm one of those people that on good days has 20/20 vision and others its slightly worse. A few years ago I got glasses so incase I go to for my medical and its a bad day i don't have to go back after i get glasses. Once in the past 3 years I needed the glasses for the 20/20 requirement and they put "must wear corrective lens" on my medical. Every other time I've been OK and there is no note on my medical. Last time I did my first class I printed some eye charts I found on the web and used them the week before my medical and didn't need the glasses.
I found this one: Eye Charts This guy says to doublecheck the "the 10 foot chart the letters on the 20/20 line should be 4.4 millimeters tall ..."

You guys are lucky, my AME uses those d@mn circles with the side missing. Those things are almost impossible to fudge if they are even a little fuzzy, and since my memory sucks I haven't been able to memorize them yet. :(

Skeezer

I always go to my eye doc for an exam before I see the flight doc. I have him fill out the FAA eye form and give it to my doc. Insurance covers the eye exam and the FAA doc charges me less for the physical.

chperplt said:
I always go to my eye doc for an exam before I see the flight doc. I have him fill out the FAA eye form and give it to my doc. Insurance covers the eye exam and the FAA doc charges me less for the physical.

How does that work? What form?

Latest resources

Back