extreme crosswind landings...BOEING Video

CaravanMan

Drop eet like eet's hot
Total Time
Some
Whoa, pretty awesome video! I wonder how many sets of tires they went through? Haven't heard that song in a long, long time either.

ms6073

Total Time
Some
Yikes - it be the camera angle of the shot but I bet that last pass required the PF to lean way forward in his seat in order to maintain a visual with runway!

PhatAJ2008

Total Time
little
How does the rear landing gear hit sideways like that? Can they pivot and turn slightly or do they just hope it doesn't snap off?

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Total Time
Most F/O's I've flown with use the technique demonstrated in this video. Land, and watch the airplane inertia fix everything...

I know the 737 main gear do caster slightly. That's why they look funny crooked taxiing around. Even the CRJ-700 has some limited caster in the main gear. Peace out-

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
ms6073 said:
Yikes - it be the camera angle of the shot but I bet that last pass required the PF to lean way forward in his seat in order to maintain a visual with runway!
More like leaned back and looked out the side window.

Hovernut

Home Based Again!
Total Time
Looks like it may be footage from Boeing's test strip out near Moses Lake, WA. Dusty, windy...impressive dust devils out there!

9GClub

Total Time
Sweet video!

Why aren't these guys getting rid of the crab before touchdown?

gkrangers

college = debt
Total Time
some
9GClub said:
Sweet video!

They lessen the crab, but if they got out of it fully, they'd lose runway alignment in wind that strong.

I guess.

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Total Time
> enuf
Great videos. I understand that Goodyear Tire sponsored them. ;)

'Sled

Sam Snead

Roger, Roger.
Total Time
Is it that they have to demonstrate during flight testing that the airplane can withstand severe side-loading on the gear?

I know they do other unusual stuff like Vmu, that they have to attach a skid on the tail to do.

Anybody at Boeing or other manufacturers know the answer?

UM#1

Total Time
7000+
That video shows how you get your demonstrated max crosswind limitation for each airplane..

Sunnfun

Syö lika
Total Time
7600+
gkrangers said:
They lessen the crab, but if they got out of it fully, they'd lose runway alignment in wind that strong.
It's more about not scraping an engine, with a wing low, they would trade paint with the runway...

Spooky 1

Total Time
Some
9GClub said:
Sweet video!

The airplane can land using crab only (zero sideslip) up to the landing crosswind guideline speeds. On very slippery runways, landing the airplane using crab only reduces drift toward the downwind side of touchdown, permits rapid operation of the spoilers and autobrakes because all main gears touchdown simultaneously, and may reduce pilot workload since the aircraft does not have to be decrabbed before touchdown. However, proper rudder and upwind aileron must be applied after touchdown to ensure directional control is maintained.