Extending Age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boz

As some may know there is a debate on Capital Hill about extending the age 60 rule to 65. This will prolong the recall of furloughed pilots at many major airlines. I home you will look up your senator on the following link, and advise your senator my phone, mail or e-mail that you are against this Amendmant SR361 and to vote No.

http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm

Vote Yes

I'm for the end of the age 60 mandatory retirement age. Why discriminate based on age? Simply to allow someone else to have a job?

If one can pass the medical and recurrent checkrides he/she should be allowed to continue to fly if he/she so chooses.

I have better things to do after I turn 60 like relax, drink beer, fish enjoy life not all in that order. Maybe inhot needs to get a life outside of aviation. Age 60 rule or not I am out at 60.

In Hot

As long as there is an age requirement to retire, it will be discrimination. This rule has stood the test of time and should remain in place. This is much more than a safety issue, it's a political and labor issue. To put the thousands of furloughed pilots on the street that much longer, and further stopping most hiring, will be devestating to too many. When we signed on for this job, we all knew we were gone from 121 at 60. Nothing says you have to stop flying, just do it somewhere else.

This is the last chance for the old guys to fatten the checkbooks and retirement since most haven't been able to max out their schedules due to cutbacks and contractual restrictions, in addition to 401K and stock investment losses. To me, this is an abuse of seniority, and motivated by greed.

If they want to raise the age, fine. But it should be grandfathered so it only applies to the guys that will be hired after the bill is signed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm not going to argue that. Let's keep it going, the other threads on this have some really good points.

Regards

Last edited:
Well if we don't hear anything from these guys, it will prove the point it is about me, myself, and I. I'm curious to what a government pension plan looks like. I thought I heard something about there being a shortage of controllers soon, and the government wants to extend their retirement age to mitigate the hiring of new controllers. I believe the controllers are giving some resistence. I guess they want out, I wish this sounded familiar on our side.

I find it interesting that many of these same people kept their mouths shut the past 20 years or so when the age 60 retirement rule benefitted them by allowing them to move up the ladder faster.

Now when its their turn to step aside and let the pilots behind them have the same opportunities, they greedily cry to change the rules.

GREED. pure and simple.

Get over it

All of these guys that want to stay past 60 are doing it simply for greed. You had your time, now move on. I don't want to babysit these over 60 guys.

I have heard all the arguments, but I have a father that retired from a major 6 yrs. ago. I have seen a marked decrease in his cognitive ability over the last several years.

You have had your chance, now move on, like the guys before you. As for me I welcome the age 60 retirement.

Latest resources

Back