ExpressJet to buy Chautauqua ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
socalpilot said:
The rumor I'm hearing around CLE is that CHQ put a bid on the Continental flying for $200 to $300 less per hour than XJET is getting.
Of course thats the rumor around CLE. All it takes is one bitter, vindictive XJT pilot to start all sort of crazy rumors about the one airline whom its vogue to bash for "lowering the bar" if you fly an Embraer under CAL colors. I'm not accusing you of this, so don't misunderstand.

I have no idea how CHQ could bid that low and still have any ability to turn a profit. Was this bid for 2007, after the exclusive XJT agreement expires? After XJT has gotten their new industry-leading contract (that I hope with every bone in my body they get!)? As CHQ's own pilot CBA is set to expire?

Too many holes in this theory to even be considered legit. I could, however, see RJET selling Chautauqua (or only its 135/145 assets) to XJT so Republic could concentrate on the 70 & 90 seat market.

In talks with folks in the know.....CHQ can offer a lower price by providing a lower service. If their dispatch relyability rate were only 99% instead of XJTs 99.8% that saves them money. Things like having fewer spares on hand, more MELs, less engine spares, performing fewer mods to the a/c. All these things save money but lower the dispatch relyability rate.

They also could do the flying as some sort of code share where they share the risk. Kind of like the way feeders used to operate, ie. you get paid based on how many pax you carry or a % of the ticket price instead of a fee for departure/block hour rate.

Now in reference to the republic thing, it was my understanding that wex allowed the republic certificate to expire. And having it expire means a whole knew application process to the FAA for a 121 cert....which takes years.

mckpickle said:
In talks with folks in the know.....CHQ can offer a lower price by providing a lower service. If their dispatch relyability rate were only 99% instead of XJTs 99.8% that saves them money. Things like having fewer spares on hand, more MELs, less engine spares, performing fewer mods to the a/c. All these things save money but lower the dispatch relyability rate.

They also could do the flying as some sort of code share where they share the risk. Kind of like the way feeders used to operate, ie. you get paid based on how many pax you carry or a % of the ticket price instead of a fee for departure/block hour rate.

Now in reference to the republic thing, it was my understanding that wex allowed the republic certificate to expire. And having it expire means a whole knew application process to the FAA for a 121 cert....which takes years.
You know normally I would let this slide, but I feel compelled to answer back for some reason. I think I am qualified to respond as I have worked for both COEX and CHQ. Let me tell you one thing, McPickle, you do not get a lower service from CHQ. I know that you want to sit there and think that somehow, since God smiled on you and you fly for COEX that you are somehow better than CHQ....well let me tell you...you aren't. The 99.8% is not an accurate number to be comparing against CHQ because you guys always report "CONTROLABLE" completion factor whereas CHQ just reports the completion factor (Controlable being absent ATC and WX cancellations). In the 2 yrs I have been at CHQ do you want to know how many non ATC or WX cancellations I have had? Exactly ZERO! None, nada, nil. We here at CHQ do an excellent job. MEL's??? Couldn't tell you the last time I had one. Our airplanes are cared for EXTREMELY well. If I had an MEL, I can tell you...it just broke. No carrying over MEL's or pencil whipping them..they get fixed, period. I know you don't like it, but CHQ is a REAL airline, with REAL pilots, and REAL mechanics. I know you can sit there on the crackpipe and badmouth and bash us all you like, but the fact is, we are not your enemy, and we are not beneath you. I SINCERELY wish you and everyone else at COEX the absolute best. I have a ton of friends there and had the opportunity at CHQ not come up (furloughed COEX) I would be back there with you fighting the good fight. But for God sakes man, we are just pilots...just like you. We show up and do our job to the absolute best of our abilities. Abilities that are no less than yours.

Once again, I wish you and all the pilots at COEX the absolute best. Good luck in your fight for a great contract.

dav8or said:
The 170/190 is the future and he has a head start on the rest. Pay is only 5% more for the Ca plus you add another Fa and you get (mgt) 40% more seats. The 190 is an even better deal, 15% more than the 145 CA pay and the 2 FA's and they get 80% more rev. Look for the dump and flush on CHQ 145/135 and AA can have the 140.
Again, congratulations to CHQ, Mesa, Mesaba, and Skywest on you're gains in pay over the 50 seat plus range. You're contrubition to the everyones' collective careers is greatly appreciated. Keep selling out our futures. Thanks again!

:)

"Again, congratulations to CHQ, Mesa, Mesaba, and Skywest on you're gains in pay over the 50 seat plus range. You're contrubition to the everyones' collective careers is greatly appreciated. Keep selling out our futures. Thanks again"

confucious say, don't listen to anyone with more flightinfo.com posts than total time....

nimtz said:
Again, congratulations to CHQ, Mesa, Mesaba, and Skywest on you're gains in pay over the 50 seat plus range. You're contrubition to the everyones' collective careers is greatly appreciated. Keep selling out our futures. Thanks again!

:)
:rolleyes:

It will be great to up the bar with an industry leading contract at XJT only to have Mesa or CHQ sneak in from behind offering to do it for much less. They are already drooling over the opportunity to gather up CAL flying from XJT... since most of their current flying is very likely to disappear with US Airways.

You can "rah rah" for XJT all you want, encouraging the pilot group to "raise the bar", but as soon as you operate one flight under CAL colors formerly operated by XJT you lose all rights to complain about the degradation of the industry. You are doing the same flying for less. All the gains from over two years of negotiations to "up the bar" with Contract 2002 will be out the window.

But you know, in all honesty, aren't all us regional pilots guilty of that?

FlyChicaga said:
It will be great to up the bar with an industry leading contract at XJT only to have Mesa or CHQ sneak in from behind offering to do it for much less. They are already drooling over the opportunity to gather up CAL flying from XJT... since most of their current flying is very likely to disappear with US Airways.

You can "rah rah" for XJT all you want, encouraging the pilot group to "raise the bar", but as soon as you operate one flight under CAL colors formerly operated by XJT you lose all rights to complain about the degradation of the industry. You are doing the same flying for less. All the gains from over two years of negotiations to "up the bar" with Contract 2002 will be out the window.

But you know, in all honesty, aren't all us regional pilots guilty of that?
You know, I've followed your career with interest on the board here, and been happy for your success and opportunities with VERY little experience. But really, **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. You're not even on line yet and you're spouting the same crackpot BS about anyone "drooling" to pick up YOUR flying? C'mon, man. 700 hour intern to SAAB FO and a classdate at XJET with 1100 total time... tell me some more about the hard road you've had and how you're holding up the bar for the rest of us.

By the way, I flew with an open MEL on the aft F/A jumpseat today. It was horrible.... but allowed me to do it for cheaper than anyone else!

aewanabe said:
You know, I've followed your career with interest on the board here, and been happy for your success and opportunities with VERY little experience. But really, **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. You're not even on line yet and you're spouting the same crackpot BS about anyone "drooling" to pick up YOUR flying? C'mon, man. 700 hour intern to SAAB FO and a classdate at XJET with 1100 total time... tell me some more about the hard road you've had and how you're holding up the bar for the rest of us.
aewanabe, you beat me to it!

FlyChicaga, I am happy for the opportunities you have had and currently have, and I hope XJT treats you very well. But please man, save us the lecture and put the koolaid/crackpipe/etc away.

XJT is going to get the best contract THEY can negotiate, and it is in everybody's mutual best interest for XJT to get everything they deserve and then some. If CAL decides to farm out CALEX flying in 2007, its because they want to avoid XJT having any leverage on the company's bottom line, NOT because of lower wages. Don't believe the hyperbole and hype. And if its not CHQ, then it will be TSA, or Horizon, or Pinnacle, or Mesa, or any number of other operators out there vying for a piece of the CALEX pie. You gonna hate everybody for what MANAGEMENT may, or may not do in three years??? Besides, aren't you doing THE SAME FLYING AS CONTINENTAL MAINLINE (thats what you always say, isnt it?) FOR LESS??? How does that make you any different or better than any other "contract" carrier?

Can't a brotha from a "competitor" offer good wishes in the neverending struggle with mgmt. every now and again without being accused of being a bottom-feeding, flying-stealing whore, low-pay-for-growth whore?

Where did I say my flying? Please, quote where I stated anything in regards to any XJT flying being my flying. I am not on the line yet. I have not completed training. It is not my flying. I never even said that I am responsible for holding up any bar. I am too new to this industry to have had the opportunity to do so through contract negotiations or any other means.

And did I not say that all of us in the regional airline sector are guilty of "underbidding"? I include myself in that statement.

I question how my flight time, career progression, or company employment are relevant in this discussion. It seems you quickly reverted to making this personal when I expressed a personal opinion and observation. I know my place in this industry, and that would be the bottom. However, that does not mean that I have no right to be defensive when it comes to discussions about advancements in the regional airline industry.

BoilerUP, do you work for CHQ? It appears that you are currently a student at Purdue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back