Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
So now that Expressjet is hiring, whats it like there? They seem to have some decent fleet plans. I understand the pay is pretty sorry the first year, but does it go up a fair amount in year two? Can anybody provide me with some details about pay, reserve time and time to hold a line in the different bases, and of course the time all of us kids are interested in, upgrade time?

I did the online app a little while ago, got a call back, and called them back today. Got the standard list of questions discussed in another thread and was told I could expect another call in a few weeks.

Another thing, I did interview with them back in '99 when I was a fledgling CFI, back in the days when they were PFT if you had less than 1200, no PFT if you had more (I had more, thank you very much), and it was no dice. I ended up at another carrier that has provided me with a good paycheck for the last 5 years, an ATP and type rating, and a very brief stay in the left seat of the Dash before Mr Seigel pulled the rug out from under us. It's funny how things can work out in this dumb industry sometimes, but will my previous rejection have any bearing on my chances this time around?

Thanks.

Currently, we have 220 jets and are taking delivery of 1-2 more each month in 2004. I believe the total number of jets to come in the next couple of years is 275 with options for more.
Junior base is Newark (EWR), followed by Houston (IAH), and Cleveland (CLE). IAH is the largest base and will probably continue to have the most growth.
Upgrade times are anybody's guess currently as we have approximately 385 CAL pilots on our list that "flowed back". CAL however has announced recalls for 2004, so the situation should improve this year. I was hired the middle of 2000 and would be close to holding CA once the flowbacks go to mainline.
The flying is interesting as we fly through all 3 hubs, go as far west as Palm Springs and as far east as Halifax, Nova Scotia.
We have our own training department as well as 3 ERJ sims at the training center in Houston.
Pay rates will change soon as we are getting towards the end of our contract negotiations. Our current contract was amendable Oct 2002.
Overall, good place to work (and should improve) and the people are good to work with as well. Good luck! :cool:

I filled the online file yesterday and talked to a rep. today. I was asked the 5 questions and told to read the paragraph. She told me I would be contacted in 60-90 days for an interview.

Any Idea when they will start bringing people to IAH for the interviews and what the interview process will consist of?

Also, I went back and looked at my profile after I talked a rep. and it said there was no profile matching my reference number. Is the profile sent to CoEx and dumped from this system once you made it through the first step. Is there anyone els who has made it through the first step and found that their profile is gone.

Last edited:
interviews -online file

RE: the disappearance of the online file-
I have had the same experience. I passed the phone interview test and it now seems that the file has been dropped from the internet only since they changed the sign on to entering the reference number.
I called the recruiting number to determine the reason - They do not know anything about it.
I took the opportunity to ask about the next step and was told that it could either be a phone interview again or an inperson interview The person was not sure.
So FYI
Has anyone gotten the followup phone or appt.

rk772 and Janet Wilson,
try typing your SSN instead of the reference number.
It worked for me.

good luck.

91 said:
So now that Expressjet is hiring, whats it like there?

All the pretzels that you can eat.

As much coke as you want, only one glass at a time, though.

I heard that the Chief Pilot in IAH dropped out of High School to earn his GED, so you've got a great chance of being the smartest person in the room during your multple grievance hearings.

When you get sick of pretzels, coke and the ignorant management; we've got a great EAP program.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Ben Franklin...
I heard that the Chief Pilot in IAH dropped out of High School to earn his GED, so you've got a great chance of being the smartest person in the room during your multple grievance hearings.
LOL!!

That's funny! Seriously, he's a good guy just like all of the rest of the management types. Thats one of the reasons why XJT made the Fortune magazine's "100 Best Places to Work" five years in a row...at least that's what it says on the side of our airplanes. No one asked me for my vote.

Last edited:
Chief Pilot IAH

Hey guys...just browsing the threads when I noticed some comments on the Chief Pilot in IAH for COEX. I have many college friends that have worked for Express Jet for years now. When I sent in my application to Express Jet a few months ago the Chief Pilot personally emailed me to say he had received it. Since that time we have continually kept in contact via email and he insists that if I have even the smallest of questions to email him or call him and he would be glad to answer. Guess what....? HE DID. I've had numerous questions ...questions he's heard a million times before and he answered with the utmost professionalism! Unfortunately because of the new way of accepting applicants, it looks like he wouldn't be able to help me get in the door there. But ya know what? It doesn't matter. This guy is ULTRA cool and just another reason I would love to work at this company. It's people like this ...those you interact with..that make it worthwile. All that said...the Chief Pilot in IAH is a "pilot's" Chief Pilot. I could easily invite him out with my ExpressJet friends for a drink.
Take care,

Man our cheif pilot is the best. I hope he hangs around for a while. He's a pilots chief pilot. He will bend over backwards for you if you keep your nose clean.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back