Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ExpressJet or ASA which would you take and why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RedDogC130

Which company would you go work for today and why? This is not a contest but I want others opinion before I make a decision. Thanks a bunch.

ExpressJet.......Continental Is Doing The Best By Far Compared To All The Other Legacy Carriers......how Many B's Will Delta Lose This Quarter???

Last edited:
ExpressJet, ASA seems to have some internal issues going on ie no contract as well as the looming situation of their parent company loosing hundreds of millions of dollars. Also ExpressJet has a better route structure (lot's of Mexico and Canada) and more pilot bases although ASA has two pretty good bases.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully some more people have some opinions. I am shocked nobody else posted but I guess I am the only loser checking message boards at 2230 on a Friday night. Later

No, it's not that. It's just that your exact same question gets asked on here about once a month. Most people are tired of answering the same question or providing the same advice over and over and over and over again but I'll give you my advice.

Go with XJET.

Last edited:
If your profile is accurate, why are you considering a regional? Especially a regional with a 5 year upgrade.

Yeah, what he said....

vclean is right. You seem to have more than enough hours to be heading somewhere better than XJT or ASA. Both are scraping the bottom of the pot to get pilots, so you are MORE than qualified. Don't set your sights too low.

Well, as I am sure you all know, not everyone can get a call. There are x # of pilots on the street. I am just covering all the bases. I want a stable job. Some of the big companies that are hiring right now would be great ones to work for but I have to consider the options that are on the table not the ones that are in the dreams. I have all the flight time I need to be competative at most companies. I just want to work for a company who will be around for awhile and that treats their employees well. If you do not try for everything, you may wind up with nothing. As for the question being asked before, I did a search but no one has asked for the pros and cons between these 2 airlines specifically. Thanks for the input.

which ever one hires you first. I don't know about XJet but, we have a pretty darn good airline. You'll see a lot of griping here about things but, we've been without a new contract for 3 years now. Hopefully we'll see something in the next 6 months or so. Some of the gripes are legit, most are not. Skywest will be buying ASA in the next month to 2 months. I don't know what that will mean for us but, I don't think it'll be anything bad.

Time to hold a line, upgrade, yadda, yadda will go up and down at all the airlines. Guys are coming out of new hire class right now and holding relief lines and better. Upgrade has been pretty long but, is coming down quickly. My feeling about the upgrade time is this; if you want to go somewhere because the upgrade time is super short right now, you probably missed the short time and you'll be on the back side of the cycle and you might get stuck in the right seat for a good while.

If you get an offer from more than one, pick the one with the bases and benefits that suite you best.

cheers!

One thing that is guaranteed: this industry will change. The best one right now could be the worst in 12 months. IF ASA gets bought by Skywest, will you be furloughed as a result of being junior? Is CAL going to cut XJTs flying in 2007? We don't know, yet. Look at the odds, examine who is the better for you right now (bases, commute or not, benefits, pay, QOL) and then go for it. Upgrade fluctuates on a regular basis. Alot of that depends on what your company is doing in the industry. If your company is receiving new planes and growing chances are that the upgrade will be quick. If deliveries and attrition are slowing down, expect a longer time to upgrade. While it looks like upgrade at XJT will be slowing down in 6 months, the company may announce new flying in a new airframe and poof, upgrades accelerate. Just remember that things change on a weekly basis in this industry.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back