• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expressjet goes long at CAK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your title says "goes long" but the news report say the aircraft skidded off the side of the runway. I know the news reporters rarely get it right but we don't need to be misleading and inaccurte as well.

When I posted, that article wasn't there yet...it just said off the runway. Soon as I saw it was the side, I edited post title...but it didn't change in the list of threads. Hope that's the worst thing I screw up today.

An Expressjet Embraer ERJ-145 on behalf of United Airlines, registration N11187 performing flight XE-5916/UA-5916 (dep Mar 17th) from Chicago O'Hare,IL to Akron/Canton,OH (USA) with 43 passengers and 3 crew, concluded a visual approach via a right hand pattern landing on Akron/Canton's runway 23 at 00:10L (04:10Z) but veered left off the runway and came to a stop about 200 feet (60 meters) off the left edge of the runway just short of turn off F2 (about 5200 feet/1600 meters down from the runway threshold) with all gear on soft ground. No injuries occurred, there is no word on the damage of the aircraft. The passengers disembarked onto the grass and were bussed to the terminal.

Both runways were temporarily closed until runway 01/19 could be re-opened following a runway inspection. Runway 05/23 remained closed.

Passengers reported the airplane didn't appear to slow down after touch down.

The airport reported the runway was dry at the time of the incident.

Akron/Canton's runway 23 is 8200 feet long.

Passengers reported the airplane didn't appear to slow down after touch down.

The last thing, and I mean the LAST thing, I care about after an event like this happens, is what the passengers thought appeared to have happened.

I bet it was some kind of steering issue. No wind, no contamination...there must have been something going on, it's not like they went off the end. Loss of directional control is a memory item for a reason in the ERJ I guess!

The last thing, and I mean the LAST thing, I care about after an event like this happens, is what the passengers thought appeared to have happened.

I bet it was some kind of steering issue. No wind, no contamination...there must have been something going on, it's not like they went off the end. Loss of directional control is a memory item for a reason in the ERJ I guess!

A book of jepps jammed up against the tiller, perhaps?

Incident happened at 0410Z.

Weather just before the incident and after.

KCAK 180351Z 21014KT 10SM BKN060 OVC250 14/06 A2993
KCAK 180451Z 22013G23KT 10SM BKN055 OVC070 15/06 A2992

Latest resources

Back