• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expressjet bumping ASA out of LAX with 10 ERJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ouch!! Any time one commuter gets bumped out in favor of another, it's a sad day. Sad for the fact that lives are impacted and the affected carrier is left scrambling to place the jets with the pilots that go with them somewhere else.

However, if this was inevitable, ExpressJet couldn't have been a better choice. It's nice to know that Delta didn't choose the bottom feeder who was able to provide the lift on the backs of low wages. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. They've worked hard to be a respectable carrier and their contract is something that I envy.

All of this goes to show that quality is still appreciated over price. Who knows what the deal entails, but for an airline that in-sources everything from the stitching on their seats to overhauls on the landing gears, costs must have been second in consideration. ExpressJet as a top quality feeder who is down on their luck must be thrilled at the opportunity.

If only my airline could diversify. I'd feel a lot better about my future. Good luck ExpressJet!!

ExpressJet is flying it "at cost". No profit......

Prove it. I would love to see your information. but i am willing to bet that you are full of it. We could have put those planes in to the branded flying and turned some profit. Also do you think XJT mgmt would let DAL have 10 of our XRs at Cost when those are our bread and butter planes for the branded flying? Answer that one? I know the answer!

At Cost? That would place our remaing CAL cpa at cost as well. Doubt it. If the deal with Delta is true the cpa is likely close to what we have with CAL.

At Cost? That would place our remaing CAL cpa at cost as well. Doubt it. If the deal with Delta is true the cpa is likely close to what we have with CAL.

Actually it wouldn't. If you look close at the wording in CAL's 10-Q filing, it says more than 10 airplane for another carrier, we are using just 10. Just FYI.

the at cost debate is BS. Maybe if it was 10 LRs, but it isnt its for 10 XRs. There is no way they would fly the XRs for delta at cost when we need those for the branded flying.

I'm surprised that anyone with any knowledge of the business is surprised by bidding to operate the jets "at cost." CHQ has been doing this for years and has built a successful business out of it. Some flying has been bid by CHQ below cost on a block hour basis and other airlines have paid to get flying (Air Wisconsin and SkyWest's ASA purchase serve as examples)

To explain, there are additional ways to get paid and most of the profits come from hitting performance bonuses. (The reason why Shuttle America left pax on the ground and rescheduled the airplane, more bonus money to be preserved elsewhere in the system) Some airlines want completion factor, other airlines want on time performance - you see small jet providers tuning their operations to make the most of whatever bonus money there is out there.

When Delta owned ASA, Skip Barnette was candid about ASA not being staffed to run in the top of the rankings because they knew that would cost more money. ASA's goal was simply not to be an embarassment. Under SkyWest and particularly in recent times ASA has visibly improved staffing and equipment standards to get the operation off the bottom and towards the top. I suspect that there is a correlation to the way SkyWest's deal with Delta is written.

The only slight surprise to me was the temporary nature of the base and the fact ASA relocated people instead of offering Tempoary Duty Assignments out of domicile. The moves must have been cheaper than the $1.50 per diem for a couple of months, or perhaps ASA thought once they were there probably they would get to stay (who knows). For those people who leased apartments, or bought homes, this really stinks.

SkyWest really needs to tell people at ASA what the plan is. People are bailing out of this place for anywhere due to the level of uncertainty about ASA's future. In a senioirty based profession it pays to be the first in line.

Latest resources

Back