Express Jet furlough question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BluDevAv8r said:
XJT management has every intention of keeping the pilots with the planes and protecting its employees jobs. While that isn't always possible, I know for a fact that it is an over-arching goal for them in this process.

-Neal

Neal,

I don't buy into the whole expressjeteurope thing, but If, and I know it's a big if. IF the planes leave the country, how would US pilots fly them in Europe? They are not going to keep the aircraft N registered. There is no way the company is going to pay for us to get JAR's.

I don't know if ExpressJet Europe is really where those planes will end up or not. Hopefully they'll find a better option for them. But if they did, it's not unheard of for a company to convert American certs to JA. Cathay and Emirates are just two I can think of off the top of my head that do this for American pilots all the time. Again, I'm not saying that I think that will happen, just that it's not as unreasonable as some make it out to be.

chuychanga said:
I don't know if ExpressJet Europe is really where those planes will end up or not. Hopefully they'll find a better option for them. But if they did, it's not unheard of for a company to convert American certs to JA. Cathay and Emirates are just two I can think of off the top of my head that do this for American pilots all the time. Again, I'm not saying that I think that will happen, just that it's not as unreasonable as some make it out to be.

Good point. For the most part, those are career destinations for the guys hired there. Besides a legality issue, it's a staffing issue as well (not enough qualified natives), and an investment for the company. I don't know about Emirate's process, but the JAR is so overly complicated it can't be dome in 6 months like the Chinese, or 4 months for the Japanese JCAB. There is not shortage of guys in Europe who are qualified to fly an EMB who already have their JAR, as well as right to work/reside in Europe.

In the case of the ever present cost conscious regional where XJet is no different (read: cheap as hell), it will cost a buttload of money. Something on the order of 12-15000 per pilot. To top it off, it's not like you are just getting a sign off, it's a full blown course that can take a year or more at full time status to complete. As well as getting right to work/reside in Europe. Who know's, maybe the company will find a bunch of hot European chicks to marry us and that will solve the problem.

Like I said, it's a big if. IF the planes go to Europe, guys are delusioanal if they think they will get to follow them.

Last edited:
BluDevAv8r said:
over-arching goal .

-Neal

Your really into "over-arching"...I just read your resignation letter to xjtalpa and for some reason that whole part about "over-arching goal to leave xjt better than I found it"... Well its not an exact quote but ...Anyway Very nice letter. Your leadership and representation will be missed at XJT. congrats on CAL, at least your senior to me...

I better turn off the monitor and step away from the keyboard...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back