Expired CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyup

Can I renew my expired CFI by adding the CFII rating to my certificate? Do I need an endorsement to take the CFII practical?

No flame about letting my CFI expire please!

Last edited:
NYCPilot said:
That would work.

not quite, you'd need to take an instructor single engine and instructor instrument (2 checkrides) to get both of them. Once the certificate has expired you are no longer an instructor and need to take all checkrides over assuming you wish to regain them. If you take only the CFII checkride you would only be authorized to instruct IFR students, no PVT or Comm. Yes, you need instruction recieved and be endorsed to take all checrides aside from the ATP. Plus the required knowledge exam.

Last edited:
Landlover, you might be right.

I'm thinking that if you get the CFII it renews the CFI - but only if the CFI has not yet expired. Sounds like he needs to do the checkride all over again with the writtens.
Bummer.

dang man... why did I let that expire?! From the looks of 61.199 it doesn't look like I have to take the written over?

Also, I remember having to take my initial CFI in a complex aircraft but I can't find anywhere it says that in applicable p61... any insight to this?

flyup said:
Also, I remember having to take my initial CFI in a complex aircraft but I can't find anywhere it says that in applicable p61... any insight to this?

complex requirements for the checkride is in the PTS, Im pretty sure you only need to do the landings and traffic patterns in a complex the rest in a fixed gear if you want.

No writtens required, just a simple checkride in any airplane. At least thats what I have been able to do. Took my last one in a 172 and he reinstated all my instructor certs on the same ride. Find a nice D E and get it done.

landlover said:
not quite, you'd need to take an instructor single engine and instructor instrument (2 checkrides) to get both of them. Once the certificate has expired you are no longer an instructor and need to take all checkrides over assuming you wish to regain them. If you take only the CFII checkride you would only be authorized to instruct IFR students, no PVT or Comm. Yes, you need instruction recieved and be endorsed to take all checrides aside from the ATP. Plus the required knowledge exam.
Buuuuuzzzzz... Wrong answer... All you need to do is either take a Re-instatement ride in any airplane and it will renew your Certified Flight Instructor Certificate (and ALL the ratings on it: i.e. Instrument, Multi-Engine, etc)... You don't have to take a separate ride for each rating... Also no written tests are required...

61.199 Expired flight instructor certificates and ratings.
(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate may exchange that certificate for a new certificate with the same ratings by passing a practical test as prescribed in §61.183(h) of this part for one of the ratings listed on the expired flight instructor certificate.
(b) Flight instructor ratings. (1) A flight instructor rating or a limited flight instructor rating on a pilot certificate is no longer valid and may not be exchanged for a similar rating or a flight instructor certificate.
(2) The holder of a flight instructor rating or a limited flight instructor rating on a pilot certificate may be issued a flight instructor certificate with the current ratings, but only if the person passes the required knowledge and practical test prescribed in this subpart for the issuance of the current flight instructor certificate and rating.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=4d253c7a06e92489882ea320948cfcc4&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.8.1.10&idno=14

Falcon Capt is right....61.199 all you have to do is take the instrument check ride in the single-engine and it will renew your FI.

Latest resources

Back