Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CFI reinstatement

FastPilot said:
I wish, we are currently running 10 year upgrades here (no joke) and I am no where near that number, I am just trying to avoid furlough, and doing this to have more options, and increase my chances of success in a job search.
Sorry to hear it.

At least you don't have to take a CFI renewal with the FAA. I say that not because DEs are any more or less fair, but they're easier to schedule. I would talk it over with your examiner. Most of the DEs I've known are very accomodating, and should be in your case. Hopefully, you won't have to pony up another examiner's fee, which, by the way, would be tax-deductable.

Good luck with your practicals.

QUESTION: Per § 61.199(a), is it permissible for a flight instructor certificate to be reinstated (i.e., the flight instructor certificate has expired) on the basis of an applicant accomplishing an additional flight instructor rating practical test, even though the applicant was not tested on his existing flight instructor ratings? As for example, a person holds an expired flight instructor certificate (a certificate that was issued on or after November 1, 1975) with the following ratings: Airplane Single-engine, Airplane Multiengine, and Instrument-Airplane. The applicant is now requesting to renew his flight instructor certificate by accomplishment of a practical test for an additional flight instructor-Rotorcraft – Helicopter rating.

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.199(a); Yes, it is permissible for a flight instructor certificate to be reinstated on the basis of an applicant accomplishing an additional flight instructor rating practical test.

Great find. And it's even authoritative. Not merely in the Part 61 FAQ, but with the Legal Counsel opinion included.

One of the times that the Legal Counsel's office has gone beyond the strict wording of the regulations to get a sensible result.

Permissable v. mandatory

Douglas H said:
QUESTION: Per § 61.199(a), is it permissible for a flight instructor certificate to be reinstated (i.e., the flight instructor certificate has expired) on the basis of an applicant accomplishing an additional flight instructor rating practical test, even though the applicant was not tested on his existing flight instructor ratings? As for example, a person holds an expired flight instructor certificate (a certificate that was issued on or after November 1, 1975) with the following ratings: Airplane Single-engine, Airplane Multiengine, and Instrument-Airplane. The applicant is now requesting to renew his flight instructor certificate by accomplishment of a practical test for an additional flight instructor-Rotorcraft – Helicopter rating.

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.199(a); Yes, it is permissible for a flight instructor certificate to be reinstated on the basis of an applicant accomplishing an additional flight instructor rating practical test.
Well, that's what I always had thought. However, the word "permissable" is a conditional as opposed to a mandatory, as in "shall." So, you probably still must work it out with your examiner to have him/her write it up as a reinstatement.

I would call your FSDO. Not that anyone cares, but when I was taking my check airman checkride I was able to get my CFII and MEI at the same time. 3 checks at once, that's efficiency.

Latest resources

Back