• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expired CFI - Can he teach flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you go look it up, im not gonna do your homework for you.

Ill save you the time though, the student cant log the time because he isnt PIC and there is no CFI on board to give dual.

The original question was can an expired CFI teach this pre-solo student? yes, but he can't log any of it.

I can't make it any more clear than that.

you go look it up, im not gonna do your homework for you.

Ill save you the time though, the student cant log the time because he isnt PIC and there is no CFI on board to give dual.

The original question was can an expired CFI teach this pre-solo student? yes, but he can't log any of it.

I can't make it any more clear than that.

OK I hear what you say. But answer me this, can a passenger in an airplane log that time as PIC (Passenger In the Cabin) time? I think you would say yes as long as he/she isn't going to use that time as flight time to qualify for an FAA certificate or rating or to show recent flight experience. I've seen many passengers log such time when they fly as passengers on airline flights and they usually ask the captain to sign their logbooks too. I've seen these logbooks passed up to the cockpit for the captain to sign while the FAA was even on the jump seat. We all (including the FAA) think it's rather interesting that these passengers keep these harmless records. So if that's true and OK, then wouldn't it be just as true for anybody to harmlessly record their time in the right or left seat flying with Dad or Grandpa or whoever?

you asked if an expired cfi can teach a pre solo student. yes, anyone can teach someone how to fly. But it's a waste of time to do it without a CFI.

you asked if an expired cfi can teach a pre solo student. yes, anyone can teach someone how to fly. But it's a waste of time to do it without a CFI.

I see you have come around quite a bit in your thoughts on this. Congratulations! However; let me assure you that such instructional flying by a senior pilot would not be a waste of anyone's time. Most young instructors just don't understand fundamentals of flight, in particular just what the rudder is for and how to properly takeoff or land in a crosswind, among many other important things. Those are the things that are taught much better by an experienced, yet expired, CFI than a "green" youngster CFI with 500 hours who hasn't really figured it out yet.

I ran into a young CFI one time who insisted that he knew it all because he had 1,000 TT. I explained to him just what 1,000 hours TT means. Are you ready, remember this: 1,000 hours means that that person is interested in aviation. When you have 1,000 hours in jets, you are interested in jets, and so on. Remember this quote as it will serve you and othes well in discussions with young people because one day they'll find to to be so true. 1,000 hours TT is really very little and can be obtained from scratch in as little as one year and certainly in two years.

While I realize that you and many others have enough flight time to show that they are well past the "interested" stage, I'm surprised at the resistance to an expired CFI teaching, as if only current CFI's know anything. Sorry, but most often it is just the opposite. No, its not the flight time that will count for anything to the FAA, but in learning, it can many times be logged in a special place as the best instruction ever received.

Last edited:
I had "words" with a Private pilot with 100 hours who said he knew more than I did when I had over 20 years as a working pilot. We all have stories of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... Sorry Clint for using the title.

Perhaps the Grandfather could help pick the CFI with more than 500 hours and knows what a rudder is. You know they are out there, good Instructors who teach because they love to and are good at it. Grandpa can use his knowledge to pick the wheat from the chaff.

My suggestion is you become part of the learning program to enhance what the "legal" CFI is teaching. Remember that the student will absorb at his schedule and be careful to not overload and make the learning process less than enjoyable. Become as current with the private pilot ground school manual to enhance that level of ability and wait until the student becomes proficent before moving on to more advanced areas.

IMHO the sylabus is set up pretty good with many years of proof it works. I think your grandchild will enjoy your mentoring.

I see you have come around quite a bit in your thoughts on this. Congratulations! However; let me assure you that such instructional flying by a senior pilot would not be a waste of anyone's time. Most young instructors just don't understand fundamentals of flight, in particular just what the rudder is for and how to properly takeoff or land in a crosswind, among many other important things. Those are the things that are taught much better by an experienced, yet expired, CFI than a "green" youngster CFI with 500 hours who hasn't really figured it out yet.

I ran into a young CFI one time who insisted that he knew it all because he had 1,000 TT. I explained to him just what 1,000 hours TT means. Are you ready, remember this: 1,000 hours means that that person is interested in aviation. When you have 1,000 hours in jets, you are interested in jets, and so on. Remember this quote as it will serve you and othes well in discussions with young people because one day they'll find to to be so true. 1,000 hours TT is really very little and can be obtained from scratch in as little as one year and certainly in two years.

While I realize that you and many others have enough flight time to show that they are well past the "interested" stage, I'm surprised at the resistance to an expired CFI teaching, as if only current CFI's know anything. Sorry, but most often it is just the opposite. No, its not the flight time that will count for anything to the FAA, but in learning, it can many times be logged in a special place as the best instruction ever received.

I haven't come around at all....i answered your question several times over. Those two can fly around all day long, as long as you understand the student can't log any of the time.

As far as flying with the older, experienced CFI? it's not going to make the student finish any faster. The young stupid CFI is still going to need to see all the requirements are met and that he "taught" everything.

The student can't log any of the time.

Wait, I thought it is agreed that a passenger on an airliner can log that time in a PIC (Passenger in the Cabin) column, right? So therefore anybody can log anything as long as it's not used to count for certification or recent flight experience.

I've asked you to reference some reg that says, "No person may log any type of flight time unless that person is _______" But sorry, you can not because no such reg exists. So just as the passenger can record his or her airline flights, so can anyone record their flights whether with a CFI or not. Look at F/E's, they log their flight time, F/A's log their flight time, DPE's log their flight time, REO's log their flight time, and guess what, none of this counts at all for certification for a private pilot, commercial pilot or instrument rating. So just as none of these count but are logable, so is a student flying with any pilot.

This has got to be the most pointless discussion ever. I can't believe people have entertained this dumb thread as much as they already have.

Bottom Line: Log what ever you want. Use a Mickey Mouse note pad from Disney for all anyone care. If you will eventually apply for a job with all this crap time logged, I really want you to video and post the interview on You Tube for all of us to have the laugh of the century. What a joke.

Wait, I thought it is agreed that a passenger on an airliner can log that time in a PIC (Passenger in the Cabin) column, right? So therefore anybody can log anything as long as it's not used to count for certification or recent flight experience.

I've asked you to reference some reg that says, "No person may log any type of flight time unless that person is _______" But sorry, you can not because no such reg exists. So just as the passenger can record his or her airline flights, so can anyone record their flights whether with a CFI or not. Look at F/E's, they log their flight time, F/A's log their flight time, DPE's log their flight time, REO's log their flight time, and guess what, none of this counts at all for certification for a private pilot, commercial pilot or instrument rating. So just as none of these count but are logable, so is a student flying with any pilot.

go away already

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back