expected JetBlue New Hire normal work days

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skysurfer76

I have an interview with JB coming up in a couple of weeks....

I wanting to know what kind of schedule I would most likely see, Im not located at a base, so i would have to commute out from CLT or RDU. Im thinking it would normaly run like a 4 on and 3 off and 3 on 4 off ect....

my question is, working the 4 on and 3 off.....it seems to me that i would have to be commuting on two of my days off? or does the company usually give you a late start on day one and an early shutdown on the last duty day?

Any thoughts or expriences from other on how JetBlue usuallly runs the reserve lines?

With the new FSM rules your schedule is locked down. What you are assigned is what you will sit RSV.

I just started a 5 day on RSV period. I'm on a 7am window first day (try to commute with that). They will tell you what it's supposed to be, but scheduling can do what ever they want.

The new FSM (Flight Scheduling Manual) is a touchy subject. So it will be interesting to see the replies. I'll try and give an unbiased answer.

JetBlue has a preference bid system. After you are awarded your reserve schedule from PBS, there are a few "48 hour windows" that allow you to modify the award through a system called FLiCA (Flightline Internet Crew Access). For example, the first window is a drop window. You would put in your preference (via FLiCA) as to what day(s) you might want to drop. Each window is open for 48 hours and is seniority based. Other windows include swap, pick up, and move up. Once all of these windows close, the first come first serve window opens and remains open until the end of the awarded bid month.

Once the first come first serve window is open, it's a free for all. There are limits on what you can swap, add, or drop during this window. You are limited based on reserve coverage numbers for that month. For example, if the minimum reserve in JFK for Monday is 20, and the actual number is either 20 or below, you would not be able to drop that day. If it is 21, then you can swap or drop that day. There are other limitations as well, but this would become a novel if I explained them.

The issue now is that the reserve numbers are usually at or below minimum coverage for the month, thereby not allowing many to manipulate their schedules. The numbers change depending on the month and time of year. For example, in October, the numbers may have a better chance of being above minimum coverage because there is less flying that time of year. For July, the numbers tend to be either at or below minimum coverage, because there is more flying. Of course, this also depends on your seat. Oh, and you will have a minimum of 12 days off for 30 day bid months and 13 off for 31 day bid months.

Of course there are more details, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Opinions will vary regarding why the reserve numbers are what they are.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have an interview with JB coming up in a couple of weeks....

I wanting to know what kind of schedule I would most likely see, Im not located at a base, so i would have to commute out from CLT or RDU. Im thinking it would normaly run like a 4 on and 3 off and 3 on 4 off ect....

my question is, working the 4 on and 3 off.....it seems to me that i would have to be commuting on two of my days off? or does the company usually give you a late start on day one and an early shutdown on the last duty day?

Any thoughts or expriences from other on how JetBlue usuallly runs the reserve lines?

If you want a j.o.b at jetBlue don't even go there during an interview.

You will be complaining by just asking.

If they ask "how do you feel about commuting in the day before" you must answer "I love it because that means I'm now a jetBlue pilot".

Every negative has a bright side and you must uncover it for the interviewer.

Yeahhhhhh!!!!

Skysurfer, as a general rule, you need to add, at a minimum, 1.5 days to your schedule to allow for the commute. There will be MANY times where you have to commute in the day previous to your rotation because of the show time, and MANY times where you will commute home the day following your rotation because of your finish time.

It's just going to be hit and miss each and every bid period. And QOL will really suck for a while.

The sheer thought of commuting to JFK gives me the creeps.

There may be

With the new FSM rules your schedule is locked down. What you are assigned is what you will sit RSV.

I just started a 5 day on RSV period. I'm on a 7am window first day (try to commute with that). They will tell you what it's supposed to be, but scheduling can do what ever they want.

I would not call it a "lock down". However, you must be quick when the FCFS is first opened. Example....I had 5 commutes for RSV in June when my line was awarded. Now I have 3 commutes with 18 days off.....3 PTO and 1 pre-released day.

So yes I used PTO but now I'm off from the 14th-28th of June. This method must be used for vacation if you can't hold squat!

I would not call it a "lock down". However, you must be quick when the FCFS is first opened. Example....I had 5 commutes for RSV in June when my line was awarded. Now I have 3 commutes with 18 days off.....3 PTO and 1 pre-released day.

So yes I used PTO but now I'm off from the 14th-28th of June. This method must be used for vacation if you can't hold squat!

Quick? If the numbers are red young grasshopper, you are locked down. Call it what you want. How about we call it a "cool" process?:laugh:

Do you really think using a month and a half worths of vacation and sick time (PTO) is worth having a few extra days off? Is this a good thing to you? Serious question...:confused:

Last edited:
Easy, I'm on ur side. I don't recall ever saying it was good, just neccesary.

Yes, using PTO is worth it to me. We'll be getting horizontal on our 19% owners across the pond. Have a fun summer!

If you live in base on reserve its a totally different company.....even with the FSM work rules I've flown a total of 1 hour, yes 1 hour on the bus for may....got an extra day off for may (prl) and started late on most of my first days of reserve......now heading into the busy months, I'm on reserve at least 2 days on the weekend, (usually hold all weekends off). Its all different depending on base and aircraft.

Latest resources

Back