• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Exhausted pilots reveal risky nodding off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I get so sick of hearing this from you holier than thou, FOM banging, company man ass nuggets I could puke.

When an airline will guarantee that the domicile I'm based in won't close next month I might not have to commute.

Until then, YES, people are FORCED to commute. You are now free to roll that comment, and shove it up your jetpipe sideways.

Well, then, quit making fatigue about your commute. Because it has nothing to do with it. They are separate issues.

I have had four domiciles in three years at my current company. I understand that people commute because they have to. However, when I commuted, I took it upon myself to make sure I was still fit for duty when I showed up for work. If I had ever felt like any fatigue as a result of my commute, I would have changed my commuting strategy. Commuting sucks, but you have a responsibility to take care of yourself and your passengers.

Well, then, quit making fatigue about your commute. Because it has nothing to do with it. They are separate issues.

Hablo Ingles por favor.......?

Safety first! If airline pilots need to complain about not getting the proper sleep between flights, it's their obligation to report this to management before a plane crashes and people die.

Safety first! If airline pilots need to complain about not getting the proper sleep between flights, it's their obligation to report this to management before a plane crashes and people die.

Management makes the schedule and knows full well that fatigue is an issue. We just got a memo last month that said the dramatic increase in scheduled reduced rest over-nights was actually good for crews, because the alternative was stageing two crews at hotels and an increase of 24 hour-plus lay-overs. What they didn't mention was that it is good for the company, because they don't have to pay for more hotel rooms and per diem for over-nighting crews.

We can try to negotiate for better rest rules, but there will always be crap-hole companies who use the FAR limits (or close to them) to gain an advantage over the competition. Nothing will change until the FAA changes the rules, which won't happen without outside pressure (Congressional hearings, 60 Minutes reports, et cetera). I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Latest resources

Back