• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

superatr

Exhausted pilots reveal risky nodding off

10:15 PM CST on Wednesday, November 8, 2006
By BYRON HARRIS / WFAA-TV

As passengers rest in their airline seats, they may not be so at ease if they knew how likely it may be that their pilots are flying in an exhausted state of mind.

For the past two months, News 8 talked to regional airline pilots across the country. Many confessed that they regularly fly on so little rest, they literally fall asleep at the controls.

"You get in the cockpit and you fly for twenty minutes between A and B, and you don't know where the first 10 minutes ended up at," said one among several pilots who didn't want their names disclosed for job safety reasons. " All of a sudden, 15 or 20 minutes have gone by."

While the pilot may be nodding off at the controls, behind them is 25 tons of airliner and up to 90 passengers.

The pilots fly for regional airlines on trips as near as Abilene to as far as Toronto.

"Both the captain and I kind of nodded off all the way to cruise altitude, so we actually fell asleep until we got to the top of the climb," said a pilot. "When air traffic control said something on the radio we both woke up, and I was like, 'Oh my gosh, we're already up here.' And I think we both were asleep for the whole time, about four or five minutes and that's a high workload time of flight."

Some pilots say they take an occasional hit of oxygen to revive themselves, but those effects are short-lived.

"You're fighting your body's desire, overwhelming desire in some cases, to be asleep," a pilot said.

The schedules they fly lead to their exhaustion. The Federal Aviation Administration requires that pilots get at least nine hours of rest every 24 hours. Under special so-called reduced rest schedules, pilots get only eight hours rest between flights.

The FAA requires that if pilots fly a reduced rest schedule one day, they must get at least 10 hours of rest the next. But rest is not the same as sleep and pilots say their sleep debt builds up.

"The fatigue you feel working as a commuter is like being in a haze or fog and not being able to make things out clearly," a pilot said. "Sometimes when I'm taxiing out, I'll look down at the chart and it takes me a long time to figure out which way am I going. [Am I going] north, am I going South?. It's dark out. I'm tired. I don't remember which way we're supposed to go."

On many days a pilot's company-allotted sleep time starts almost as soon as the plane hits the ground.

When an aircraft's parking brake is set and the cabin door opened, a signal is transmitted to the control tower. Fifteen minutes later, the rest clock starts. The pilot must be back at the airport 45 minutes early to prepare for the next flight.

"You might only get three hours of sleep," a pilot said.

FAA regulations allow pilots to fly 30 hours a week, which is 10 hours less than a standard work week.

But pilots say that for the sake of efficient scheduling and passenger convenience, those 30 hours are usually crammed into one part of any given week.

The real world's days become a pilot's nights, and no one day is the same as the next..

"That's when you get sick," said a pilot. "That's when you can't concentrate. You fall asleep while flying."

Pilots who have flown for big carriers like American Airlines and United Airlines and regional airlines like American Eagle and Comair, which fly smaller jets, say fatigue problems are worse in the regional areas because flights are generally shorter and more frequent. Pilots said those trips make it more difficult for a pilot to settle into a pattern.

Regional airlines say its up to pilots to complain about not getting enough rest.

"If at any time during that trip they don't feel rested, they can tell that carrier," said Deborah McElroy, Regional Airline Association.

But pilots say calling in fatigued is at least a black mark on their record, and at worst a cause for punishment.

"The record is permanent, because there is a list," a pilot said.

Another pilot agreed.

"I cannot just go to my company and say, 'I'm too tired and cannot fly,'" he said. "I'm afraid of the discipline I might get from my management team."

American Eagle, the nation's largest commuter airline, said its pilots can call in fatigue without fear of punishment. The airline says it happens 30 to 50 times a month. When a call is made, the pilot is called in to discuss the situation with management.

The FAA started rewriting it's sleep regulations 11 years ago, but has never finished.

"We'll get sued," said a spokeswoman for FAA when asked to be interviewed on camera about the subject.

In a written statement, the agency said, "We know from past experience that the airlines and pilots have not been able to agree on the FAA's past proposals to update our rules."

Some pilots have a dark view on how change will come.

"People need to die, unfortunately," a pilot said. "I hate to say it that way, but until there's a fiery crash and it gets a lot of attention in the media, people aren't going to realize our pilots aren't getting enough rest."

E-mail [email protected]

Exhausted pilots reveal risky nodding off

Good premise, but lots of factual errors. Not surprising from the media, but it was closer than many I've read. Glad to see it getting some attention, anyway.

But some of the things in this article....

When an aircraft's parking brake is set and the cabin door opened, a signal is transmitted to the control tower.

No kidding! I had no idea. The tower does everything!

"You might only get three hours of sleep," a pilot said.

That's exaggerating more than just a little bit. More like six -- still too little, but come on.

FAA regulations allow pilots to fly 30 hours a week, which is 10 hours less than a standard work week.

Mentioning the not-included-in-the-30 time between flights would have been helpful here.

But pilots say calling in fatigued is at least a black mark on their record, and at worst a cause for punishment.

"The record is permanent, because there is a list," a pilot said.

Oh, no! Not a list! Where do they get this stuff?

The FAA started rewriting it's sleep regulations 11 years ago, but has never finished.

"We'll get sued," said a spokeswoman for FAA when asked to be interviewed on camera about the subject.

They should get sued because of their inaction, not because of delayed action. How many more fatigue-related crashes is it going to take?

In a written statement, the agency said, "We know from past experience that the airlines and pilots have not been able to agree on the FAA's past proposals to update our rules."

Well, of course the airlines aren't going to agree to anything that would cost them money. Do you think they would have as many flight attendants as they do if they weren't required? Do you think they would have ponied up for TCAS, GPWS, and other safety equipmenet, if the FAA hadn't mandated it? That's the FAA's job. It's the airline's job to fight them on it. Of course they're not going to agree.

"People need to die, unfortunately," a pilot said. "I hate to say it that way, but until there's a fiery crash and it gets a lot of attention in the media, people aren't going to realize our pilots aren't getting enough rest."

There have been several -- I guess they didn't get enough attention from the media. Sad as the LEX crash was, I was really hoping it was a reduced-rest overnight, if only to bring this issue out in the open again.

"When an aircraft's parking brake is set and the cabin door opened, a signal is transmitted to the control tower. Fifteen minutes later, the rest clock starts."

Can that transmitter be MEL'd?

3 hrs isn't much of an strech...
8hrs reduced rest, -1.5hrs travel from plane to hotel back to plane. =6.5hrs - showering, shaving, getting dressed, eating diner or breakfast (+/- 1.5hrs) = 5hrs.
Take some time to fall asleep into account and your in the 4 hour range.

3 hrs isn't much of an strech...
8hrs reduced rest, -1.5hrs travel from plane to hotel back to plane. =6.5hrs - showering, shaving, getting dressed, eating diner or breakfast (+/- 1.5hrs) = 5hrs.
Take some time to fall asleep into account and your in the 4 hour range.

Exactly true. Not to mention the time spent tossing and turning, while think, "crap, I've got to sleep now, I have to wake up in 4 hours, oh jeez, tomorrow is going to SUCK!"

.... or with the realities of what the job pays - duty in a 17:00 do a stand up with 6 hours on the ground, duty out at 08:45 and go to your day job. I thought COEX pilots' had a great advertisement a couple years ago when they pointed out that many pilots had to work two jobs to pay the rent.

When pilots talk to the press, they should tell them the time away from base instead of flight hours. If my car is in the Company parking lot, I consider myself to be at work. The fact that I only get paid when the airplane is out of the chocks is just an unfortunate wrinkle in the compensation section of the contract that can be fixed with pay and duty rigs.

It would also be a good story to relate fatigue to the effects of alcohol intake. Often many of us are flying around with a higher level of fatigue induced impairment than many who get arrested for DUI. If interested, search Dr. Rosekind's work.

Not to mention the times that I've had the 0700 res period and they call me at noon or 1300 and say "oh youre off duty for the next 9 hours and you are doing a nap tonight". OUCH!!! Ok, I just woke up like 4 hrs ago and now I'm supposed to go back to bed so I'll be rested for my 6 hrs on the grnd tonight! Then, I allready know that doing a nap out of ATL wont be on time so it will actually be less time on the ground. SUX!!! Hopefully my FO took a nap.
OH WELL!

Latest resources

Back