Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

devine9driver

Victory
Our company is shopping for a new light/midsize jet. Just wondering how the Excel stacks up as far as.

1. Range
2. Speed
3. Climb Rate
4. Avionics
5. Cabin Size
6. Lav.
7. Glitches/Bugs

For those of you driving them would like to know what you think of the aircraft over all, and please comment on anything I might have forgot above. Thanx in advance

devine9driver said:
Our company is shopping for a new light/midsize jet. Just wondering how the Excel stacks up as far as.

1. Range
2. Speed
3. Climb Rate
4. Avionics
5. Cabin Size
6. Lav.
7. Glitches/Bugs

For those of you driving them would like to know what you think of the aircraft over all, and please comment on anything I might have forgot above. Thanx in advance

I have flown the Excel for almost two years and I love it. The passengers have had nothing but positive things to say about it. And the baggage area (79ft3) is unparalleled in something this size (20,000#).

To answer your questions:
1. Practically? 1500-1700 nm (max I have seen...1951 nm KTRK-KHXD with two pax)
2. 420 KTAS, Mmo .750, Vmo 305 KIAS
3. 5000 FPM initial still 1500 FPH @41K (MTOGW to FL410 - :18 min)
4. Honeywell Primus 1000, (3) 8x7 CRTs, Honeywell Primus II RMUs, TCAS II, EGPWS.
5. Height 5'8" width 5'6" Length 23' (club and 1/2, plus side seat or two)
6. Two lav options: Removable and external serviceable. (External lav seat is not approved for passengers due to the position of the emergency exit.)
7. I don't know of too many glitches. It depends on how picky you are and how hard you fly.

For short to medium hauls with standup cabin it fits the mission perfect. External components and service compartments are easy to reach.
I highly recommend two options, the APU and external service lav.

While I agree the Falcon's are better planes than Cessna's, but a new Excel is about 1/2 price of a new Falcon50EX.

It all depends on your mission and budget. The Excel is perfect for some and not others. And the same can be said for any airplane.

Last edited:
Re: sloooooow

falconpileit said:
but it's so dang slow..............buy a Falcon!

Buy a Falcon so you can:
a) have a panel that looks like a diesel locomotive
b) have a claustrophobic cabin you can't stand up in (DA10 only)
c) sweat to death in PHX because you have no APU
d) spend time looking for spare parts for a 30 year old plane

They have to get there fast, the pax want the heck out of that thing :D

Just having fun, the DA10 and 20 are both wonderful airplanes.
Speed is OK, But EFIS rocks.

Re: Re: sloooooow

NJA Capt said:
Buy a Falcon so you can:
a) have a panel that looks like a diesel locomotive
b) have a claustrophobic cabin you can't stand up in (DA10 only)
c) sweat to death in PHX because you have no APU
d) spend time looking for spare parts for a 30 year old plane

They have to get there fast, the pax want the heck out of that thing :D

Just having fun, the DA10 and 20 are both wonderful airplanes.
Speed is OK, But EFIS rocks.

No body said "Buy a Falcon 10" they said "Buy a Falcon"... All the Falcons I fly have full glass (and lets not forget the HUD, that would be a "Heads-Up Display".... or more technically the HGS System) and APU... oh yeah, you can't stand straight up if you are over 6' 3" but you gotta give up something!

;)

NJA Capt. thanx for your earlier response, it helped me out a great deal. I have a couple other questions if you don't mind. I realize that the aircraft's Mmo is only .75M, but It would seem to me that with the climb rate of the aircraft you really aren't losing much time on missions under 600 miles or less, is this what you find or am I dreaming? Second, using average Boeing winds, could you make the west coast from the Chicago area most or half of the time with lets say 4 pax and normal baggage, looking at the numbers it seems that you could use full fuel in this situation? And lastly do you still have a 760lb useful load with full fuel if you have the APU as an option or does the APU take away from this number? Thanx for all your help.

To the Falcon guys, we probably would look at Falcon's if we could buy a brand new one under 10 mil. Bring back the 20!

devine9driver said:
To the Falcon guys, we probably would look at Falcon's if we could buy a brand new one under 10 mil. Bring back the 20!

What about a 20-5 retrofit.... Big cabin and west coast range... well under $10M...

As far as the Excel, PM 56xDriver, he flies an Excel out of Chicago and could probably give you some good real world comparisons...

Which Chicago airport are you going to be flying out of?

What about a straight Falcon 50?

This one is posted on Executive Controller for $9,995,000.00
You did say under $10M, right?

It will take 9 passengers from Chicago to the West Coast (non-stop) out of 5,000 ft runway on a 90°F day... even if it is raining... (or take 7 passengers on a dry 104°F day out of a 5,000 ft. runway) and has a much larger cabin than the citations (even the Citation X)....

The Broker is even in Chicago!!! How much more convienient do you want it!!!

http://www.aircraft.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?guid=b70yd7s4&pcid=1001589&etid=1&OHID=1037183&nh=0

DASSAULT FALCON 50, 1987, S/N: 176, 3720 TT, MSP Gold, -3D Engines, “DEEC’s” (Digital Electronic Engine Control), 5-Tube EFIS, TCAS II, GPWS, RVSM, 8.33 Comms, GTOW Mod, FM Immunity, Aft Lav, Jump Seat, No Damage History with Complete Logs, Wulfsberg VI Phone, Fireblocked Interior, Ready To Go, $9,995,000.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interior:
Fireblocked 8-10 PAX, soft Grey leather seats with 4 place couch (birthable)
or standard 2 place, forward club, 2 aft club chairs facing each other,
Airshow 100, TV, VCR, stereo, CD Player, Wulfsberg Phone VI, forward galley
with Mapco, microwave, aft lav with vanity, AC outlet, full jump seat,
excellent condition, 6/95

Last edited:
devine9driver said:
It would seem to me that with the climb rate of the aircraft you really aren't losing much time on missions under 600 miles or less, is this what you find or am I dreaming?

I would say that's pretty accurate. You probably would only be 5-10 min slower than master mach aircraft.

Second, using average Boeing winds, could you make the west coast from the Chicago area most or half of the time with lets say 4 pax and normal baggage, looking at the numbers it seems that you could use full fuel in this situation?

Chicago to CA would be a real stretch with most winds. The useful load will depend on the other options you have in the aircraft. NJAs are some of the heaviest in the country because of the options list (BOW 13100#) so with full fuel we can carry 1.5 pax. With 4 pax and reserves you would have just over 4 hours fuel at HSC.

Falcon guys, lighten up ;)
I said I was kidding. You guys poke fun a Cessna products all day long. But when someone jokes about your ride, you cry foul! Get over it.
I know there are NICE falcons for under 10mil. But you won't find
one NEW that can compete with the Excel. Besides, he did ask about the Excel, not the Falcons.

Wait a minute, you guys actually lowered yourselves to compare a Dassault to a Cessna? Cessnas must rate better than we thought :D

Latest resources

Back