Ex-military corporate pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fokkerjet said:
Congratulations GV, I hope you will be happy in your move, understand you will be flying the WSCoD:D

I couldn't get a Legacy, I had to settle for a G550.

fokkerjet said:
Current issue of Aviation Leak has an article on the ACS project; seems that LM really didn't have a clue about the EMB-145 when they chose that platform, now they are looking at both the B737 and G550; the other Embraer option is the E-190. Besides the added weight, seems that the EMB-145 can't generate enough electricty to power the equipment.

With regards to Embraer building the aircraft here in JAX (and for Airbus, for that matter with their A330 USAF tanker project) I guess the phrase "buy American" can mean a lot of different things; from buying from a US based company that produces products overseas and then reselling them back here, to locating a factory here from a foreign based company and then sending the profits back to their country. In either case, it just weakens our country in so many different ways:(

I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the kind words and the informative post.

fokkerjet said:
Case in point, if we decide to get some new rides, there are no US produced aircraft that will fill the role.......Boeing cancelled the B717 (the closest) leaving our choice to either Embraer, or Bombardier if they ever decide to go ahead with the C-series. No US manufacture (past or present) can compete with them because their costs are so low; not because they build a superior product.

The death of the B717 is sad. Lee Johnson after wrapping up his duties as GV chief test pilot went to be the chief test pilot for the B717 at Long Beach, so I got to know the airplane pretty well. I think it's a great jet and it's tough - made for 55,000 hours of short fields, hard landings and hard braking.

GV

How much power do they need? My gawd the plane has FIVE generators that can put out 400A apiece(!). Seems like a lot.
Also you are talking about a base airplane that is roughly 30000 lbs BOW. MTOW is over 50000 lbs on the XR I believe. How heavy is all this stuff?

Legacy--The package became a "Christmas Tree". Everyone started hanging stuff on it. It became heavier than originally intended.TC

Some interesting quotes from the Aviation Week article:

"One of the top weight drivers is a miscalculation of the amount of cable needed to connect the onboard equipment." Also, "The Army and Lockheed Martin also underestimated the strength and weight of supports needed to house the ACS' electronic boxes." (Both quotes from the article). The article also said that it was not due to additional mission requirements.

Looks like they picked the ERJ-145 based on some "back of the envelope" calculations and had to seriously adjust when they started more detailed engineering.

Last edited:
LegacyDriver said:
How much power do they need? My gawd the plane has FIVE generators that can put out 400A apiece(!). Seems like a lot.
Also you are talking about a base airplane that is roughly 30000 lbs BOW. MTOW is over 50000 lbs on the XR I believe. How heavy is all this stuff?

But wants the payload and floor loading limit or MZFW? Clear case of picking the lowest bidder then "screwing" the goverment with cost overruns; The cost of this project will go up 50% ($400M)when they change airframes if Congress doesn't kill the project first.

But like the man said, if the original predictions on cable and support structure weight had been "in the ballpark" the airplane would have been okay for the mission.

I agree it's a great waste of money, though. Woulda' been nice to be a civilian instructor on the airplane for the military, too. :) (Wishful thinking.)

LegacyDriver said:
But like the man said, if the original predictions on cable and support structure weight had been "in the ballpark" the airplane would have been okay for the mission.

It also didn't generate enough electrical power.

"Additionally, the power provided by the smaller Embraer is insufficient to handle the requirements of simultaneously operating onboard sensors, computers, and related equipment, according to the Pentagon source."

This is proving to be a challenge with a number of military aircraft, as ever more systems are being added. Onboard power demands are increasing, especially for an electronic surveillence aircraft.

GVFLYER,
You are one articulate, to the point silver tongued invidual. It is my totally unbiased opinion that the Marines and former Marines on this site are by far the most intelligent participants.

Latest resources

Back