• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Evergreen pilots vote to authorize strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, EZ does get BUSINESS CLASS travel for international and coast to coast trips, only.

Most of our check airman are union members. A few check airman are management pilots.

However, we do have a half dozen former scabs in the left seat and maybe a couple in the FE seat. But even if all the managment pilots were to cross the line and all the scabs, they still don't have enough to man more than 2-3 aircraft for a few days.

I don't know of any FO's that will cross the line. And there are only 4 FE's that I even suspect MIGHT cross.

Del isn't going to be able to keep enough planes in the air. And he won't be able to hire and train scabs fast enough to do him any good.

Yes, EZ does get BUSINESS CLASS travel for international and coast to coast trips, only.

However, we do have a half dozen former scabs in the left seat and maybe a couple in the FE seat. QUOTE]

There is no such thing as a former scab....Best of luck to the Zoners. You deserve a lot more money for the job you do. I will come walk the picket line with you, if it comes to that. I enjoyed flying with 98% of you!

We get Business or better for DH. The EZ birds have First Class seats, so if we get put on an airliner it has to be the wide seats. If business class is not available, then we get put in First Class.

For a 14 hour dead head........really not a bad deal. I look forward to dead heading unlike my last job sitting in the back.

Last edited:
From the outside looking in, I'd say you'd have to worry about the 95 that didn't vote. Let's see, half are newhires and a few non-members. So still around 45 didn't vote that could. 97% is impressive, until you mine down to the real numbers, 50ish didn't care! SO, if the 50 are included, you really got a 75% strike vote. Del knows how numbers work and I don't think he'll be impressed.

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but we all know how numbers can be made to tell the story our way. I have seen plenty of this done by both sides. It's all part of the game.

The way you guys have been treated, I expected 100% participation, and that 97% or more. GOOD LUCK, I'll stand the lines with you any day.

Did anyone read the article in the Oregonian and then read the comments by some of the readers?
Its amazing just how myopic some people can be. They have never walked a day in our shoes and yet they feel they know everything about airlines, flying and operations. It makes my blood boil.
Unions are there for a reason!
And I speak from experience when I say that "we" as Evergreen pilots never ever left a shipment for our troops on the ramp because we had differences with our employer and that includes flying into harms way to get them there.
Its Mr. Smith who drapes himself in our nations flag and then balks at the very concept of what it is to be American and that is to organize and stand up for what you believe in.
He has profited immensely from the spoils of this war and instead of giving back and thanking the people that helped him get there he chooses to build a water park...in Oregon for that matter! WTF!! Over.
So when I see that my fellow zoners want to stand up for better pay and QOL...I say go for it!

Evergreen International Airlines Pilots Overwhelmingly Authorize Union to Call Strike
97 Percent Vote “Yes” to Walk if Contract Talks Fail

McMINNVILLE, OR—The crewmembers of Evergreen International Airlines, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), resoundingly support conducting a lawful strike if an agreement is not reached with their management. In a recent strike ballot issued by the union leadership to the pilot group, an overwhelming 97 percent of crewmembers voted in favor of a lawful strike, should it become necessary to conclude a fair collective agreement with Evergreen management. More than 86 percent of eligible pilots participated in the polling. The crewmembers have been in negotiations since 2005.

I wish Evergreen guys the best, and I don't doubt you DESERVE more.
But a strike is too often a dead end for your jobs and others'.
I'm not saying management deserves kudos for trying of extract the
last penny from the employee's work, I'm not an Evergreen employee, nor
have I ever worked there. But sometimes jobs just wouldn't BE there with a
better deal, alas.

I wish Evergreen guys the best, and I don't doubt you DESERVE more.
But a strike is too often a dead end for your jobs and others'.
I'm not saying management deserves kudos for trying of extract the
last penny from the employee's work, I'm not an Evergreen employee, nor
have I ever worked there. But sometimes jobs just wouldn't BE there with a
better deal, alas.

spoken like a true corporate pilot... With that attitude, we may all just as well resign to working for minimum wage 6 days a week for the privilege of calling ourselves pilots. Using the APC payscale and 65 hour month, the average EZ 1st year FO makes $3500/month and is gone 400 hours... that works out to $8.75/hr or just about a buck over minimum wage for his time away from his wife and kids, and that DOESN'T include his jumpseating back and forth to base... /sigh

As for the vote, I believe only 14% didn't vote of the eligible and that doesn't make for 14% that will cross... even if 1/2 do, that's not enough to man their fleet (I recall they have 10 or 11 planes now)... and anyone who's young enough to face the reality of a future job search knows that it's pretty much the end of their career if they cross...

I say stick with it, and demand industry leading..

Last edited:
The airline is the "cash cow". Buying the Space Shuttle, building the water park and etc with the airlines money. Even if we got a 50% raise, the extra projects just will not stop.

Hopefully we can get a contract that reflects the equipment we fly and the professionalism of our flight crews. We all have kids to feed and hopefully some day, we would like to put them through college.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back