Ever had an engine failure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
35 engine shutdowns. Most of them precautionary shutdowns, of course. 3 of them were failures between v1 and v2. A few more were failuses in cruise.

35 engine shutdowns in 4,500 hours?!?!?! No offense, but I hope I NEVER fly with you! You must have a black cloud over your head!

Only three in 38 years,two in the 727(false fire warning)and one for low oil press in the YS-11. In the sim. god only knows how many I have both given and gotten.

I've never had one personally, but the company i work for had two different 737's both have in flight flame outs within 2 or 3 days. The one that ended up in dallas, mx changed the hmu on the engine that had flamed out, but when they went to taxi it back to the gate the opposite engine decided to flame out. Very very wierd....i'd like to think that it was bad fuel seeing as how all the engines are relatively new. Although, with all the additives in there and mx sumping the tanks checking for water and such.....i wonder if it really could be bad fuel or not??? Very very wierd.

My failure of these sorts was in a J31. We lost a propgovernor at rotation. The FO was flying and did a perfect job. Torque was fluctuating from 80% (max) to the bottom of the gauge. I'm not sure, but I believe that I would rather have suffered total failure. The torque fluctuations had that junkstream yawing pretty good. Not fun. The FO flew and I started to shut the engine down. As I reduced power, the fluctuation lessened until it went away at idle thrust. We flew that pattern, after notifiying the tower and made an uneventful landing.

Yes, bad things do happen at critical times.

regards,
enigma

I forgot about that one, I had an engine fire light and bell come on at rotation on the 727. I shut the engine down and returned, it was a positioning flight, so routine I forgot about it. Thanks to the sim.

you tell them to grab their ankles and kiss their ass goodbye:D :D

Re: can some one till me please do you have

planehpn said:
can some one please till me when you have an eng shute down or some thing do you have to prepare the passengers for an emergeny landing or what do you till them?

thanks

Bruce

HPN

It's "TELL", not "till"... there is no I in the word! Also "SHUT" doesn't have an E! No offense, but do people not attend school anymore?

Our airline uses NTSB to brief the FA's:

Nature of the Emergency
Time-how much time till landing
Special Circumstances to consider
Brace signal

I had my first engine failure the other day. I was heading to the end of the runway for departure, reached over to turn the GPS on and my cuff on my dress shirt hooked over the mixture control knob. When I pulled my arm back, I pulled the mixture to cut-off and well you know what happened next.......

I cussed my freak'n head off and looked to see if anyone else saw this. :D

Now with that in mind, the version that I am going to tell everyone else will include, night time, IFR, icing with my co-pilot on fire.......Sounds somewhat better don't you think? ;)

I lost one a while back. I was over northern Iraq when my F-18's #2 engine suffered a bleed leak and I had to shut it down. Things were looking pretty bad until I had to take out the garbage...so I saved the game and decided to go back to it later.

But at the time, it was pretty scary!

But enough of this baloney...let's talk about ibaflyer's avatar! ("Grrr, baby! Grrr!")

Latest resources

Back