Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tcoll777 said:
skyking1976

What were you doing at FL 200? Even with oxegen your better off down low fuel flow wise..........ex airnet training talking!!

My guess is since he was in Colorado, he was avoiding Terra-Firma, i.e. Cumulus Granitous... And considering the stellar single engine performance of piston twins (i.e. drift down is the word of the day) I'd be at FL200 or high also...

Rick1128-keep the open mind and you will live long in this business-good job BTW proves you are a thinking pilot.

CJ610-6 one catotrophic failure-40 flameouts at altitude.

JT8D-none just burns a bunch of fuel

CFM56-just keeps going and going and going

One the other day in a BE-20 in cruise coming back from the Bahamas. The left engine decided to have lunch on the 1st stage sungear. Everything else inside was desert. Landed in FPR uneventfully.

Turbo, thanks for the support. In today's politically correct follow all the rules enviroment that kind of support is getting harder and harder to find.

Many engine problems can be avoided by careful preflight and a little back bone.

Case in point, many years ago I was assigned an aircraft (SA227) at the hub and during his preflight the F/O noticed that one engine disn't feel right when it was spun. He told me, like he should. Upon my checking it, I noticed the same thing and downed the aircraft. The hub mechanic said it didn't feel right and called ops. Ops assigned the plane to another crew. I talked with that Captain and upon his check also turned it down. The DOM state that he didn't know TPE331s all that weel, BUT the aircraft was OK to fly. Finally the CP browbeat a JR Captain into flying the aircraft. Half way to their destination the engine starting acting up and they had to shut it down. When they got on the ground a mechanic tried to spin the prop and all he managed to do was chin himself on the prop.

The cause was a failed #3 bearing. The result was an engine that was in warranty that the company had to pay for because of their actions.

In this business, you have to think and use all your senses.

8 Flameouts on CJ610’s, all but 1 restarted. The 1 that wouldn’t restart forced us to land in Dalhart, TX. After spending a week in Dalhart I started to think what the definition of “suitable” airport really means!

2 other failures that are a little more interesting. Departing MSP during a hot summer day in a heavily loaded WW24 the left engine started to compressor stall at V1-5. Used every dang inch of 12R (10,000’ runway, book said we needed 8200') to get it stopped. The brakes were glowing and smoking when we got out of the airplane. A few hours later the mechanics found the problem, a ¼ inch nut was found in the compressor section. That little nut damaged about 40% of the fan blades and most of the compressor blades. FOD can happen to anyone!

The other more fun one was taking a checkride in an old LR25, the fed who didn’t have too much Lear time was sitting in the right seat. Just as we rotate Mr. Fed decides to give me an unbriefed V1 cut. Unfortunately for us he yanked the throttle back a little too hard or the throttle lock was a little too loose and he went right by idle into CUTOFF!! Funny thing is the fed didn’t even realize the engine was actually shutdown, we go up to altitude and I ask “you mind if we restart that engine”, Fed “Ya, you’ve got to shoot a single engine approach.”, Me “Well, do you mind if we at least bring that engine to idle and out of cutoff!”, Fed “WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?” Just another reason why going to the sim is the only way to go!

Engine Failures

I've had two occurances in my flying time that I'll talk about:

1) Private Pilot with 70 hours at the time - 3am returning from
a long cross country and descending into destination airport
out of about 7,500 on a beautiful VFR night with airport in sight.
Just as I started to pull the power back the engine gave a
KABOOM - sputtered a bit - then came to a stop. Didn't attempt
a restart and just pitched for best glide and headed straight
for the airport. Made it without a problem- touchdown was a bit
firm- didn't really think about it at the time, just wanted to get
'er down.

2) Just after takeoff in a Piper Aztec C model, climbing off runway
16L at JAN and through the stratus crap stuff- rain, fog, etc.
Looked out the right window and saw oil streaming back from the
cowl and oil service doors. Just crossed my fingers and kept
on trucking- indications stayed normal- kept coming up with plans for failure or shut-down and it definately made the flight
interesting. But it never even sputtered and we made it home
3 hours away.

Dad never told me about any engine troubles until lately-
he had one in-flight shutdown (B767-200 at FL390) and landed
off destination with no trouble. This was due to the failure of a
fuel controller unit. He also says that he lost #2 on an MU2
when the scavenge pump failed at about 50 feet over the numbers in Tuscaloosa, AL.

LXApilot, just curious, but why would you fly an airplane for 3 hours with oil streaming out of the cowling? Was it a little overspray, or more? I would think the prudent thing to do would be return and check out the engine.
Just curious, your call...

freightdoggie said:
LXApilot, just curious, but why would you fly an airplane for 3 hours with oil streaming out of the cowling? Was it a little overspray, or more? I would think the prudent thing to do would be return and check out the engine.
Just curious, your call...

This is exactly what I was wondering.

Only had one myself. However, I wouldn't call in a engine failure. Lost a blade north of Houston in a MU-2 about 4 years ago and the engine ultimatly destroyed itself and gave up and later the airplane as it bent to much stuff to repair. Engine TPE331. Turned out to be bad anodizing on the blade.

MU's RULE

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back