Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Drifter

Coming to a town near you
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever officially violated a reg or if you know someone who did. If so, could you share that experience. Tell us what you did and what kind of punishment you received from the FAA. I am very curious.

I don't think your gonna get many responses to your question...but avbug might have a monkey story for you.....

I'm not trying to get anybody to testify against themselves. Be as vague as you want about the details but I was just wondering about the actual reg that was broken and what the penalty for it was. Or if somebody knows a website with this sort of info, that would be great too. Thanks.

My buddy was flying just a bit too low one day. No idea what the penalty for that is yet.

Regs bust

Tell your "friend" to call AOPA and (1) get advice and (2) get a recommendation for a good aviation attorney. Your "friend" should not appear at a FSDO to answer any violation, surrender his logbook, surrender his certificates, or otherwise deal with FAA without competent counsel.

Best of luck to your "friend."

My friend has done all of what you mentioned Bobby. Thanks for the advice. Just waiting now. FAA sure does take their time. Say what kind of paralegal are you if you don't mind me asking?

hey there,

i was very good friends with a flight instructor back in 2000 and he was with a new student at the time, somehow or another (while in Class B) they did similar and blew completely thru their assigned altitude. i dont remember the exact specs on what happened, but suffice it to say, they were too low. the only punishment that occurred was to the CFI and he got a letter (Letter of Reprimand?) that was placed in his file. unfortunately this held him back from getting a job for a few months more than what it was supposed to take. this was back in the days of 1200 and 100 you get hired by a regional. he ended up getting on with ACA about 1500 total and was honest with them about the situation the minute he walked into the interview. this is not to say he was so forthcoming in the first 5 interviews he had, until he found out they knew about it a few days after their interview.

moral...dont hide it, they will find it ;)

I know of a good number of guys who got caught up because they overflew an AD (due to some pretty crappy stuff). Anyhow, we have had a LOT of chats with the feds recently about this sort of stuff, and it's pretty simple.

First, if they contact you to find stuff out, they already know more than enough to hurt you. They don't go fishing by sending you a letter or chatting on the phone. Second, if they request an informal meeting, it is just that, and the last thing they want to see is a lawyer (they don't bring thiers--don't bring yours). For the most part, they have a lot of leverage in the punishment, and that means that cooperation is a HUGE help. For the most part, they do the informal meeting and a punishment is decided.

If you're decent to them, they'll be decent to you (duh). The most common thing our guys do is you hand them your certificate, and ask them to keep it in thier desk for a while. Next to that, our FSDO required our guys to teach a class on ADs to all the other employees of the FBO and thier students (with the feds there). Kinda childish really, but at least the feds got to learn a lot more about us and the way we do things, and we got to learn a LOT more about the enforcement process, as well as some seriously wacked stuff about Mx regs... I'm still trying to figure out how an inoperative nav light makes an aircraft un-dispatcheable during the day--without an A&Ps deferment. But, c'est la vie.

Dan

If it wasnt a terrible infraction, your buddy may be able to request a 709 ride instead of the violation. This doesn't go on his record. If it was really bad, he should bring his lawyer. If it was somewhere in between, not absolutely terrible, leave the lawyer at home. One of the criteria the FAA uses to decide on the severity of the punishment is whether or not the pilot is 'compliant' when dealing with the process. Bringing a lawyer doesn't seem to demonstrate compliance and the FAA may be offended. They have many options for enforcement, most of them mild and either don't go on your record or are removed after 24 months. I would go into the FSDO and beg for mercy...if he wasn't flying under powerlines or 100 ft from houses or something.

Bottom line is that they can and will do as they please. Much of it depends on the pilot's attitude. Eat crow. Leave the lawyer behind.

Latest resources

Back