Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
I just saw this on usaviation.com, but I don't think it's true. But before I discount it completely, would some of you SWA insiders confirm/deny the guys comment?

Here it is (posted there this morning):

WN has moved up delivery of an additional 5 A/C for 2004 for a net increase of 35.
At least 1 city will be announced.

I'm thinking the guy's math might be off by 5, but hey, you never know.....

So are they reducing planned -200 retirements in '04 from 17 to 12 now? That would be just awesome.....but it's the first I've heard of that though.

Could this be due to the opportunities opening up in STL next week?

Coop
(still in the pool and still in the dark.....must have floated to the murky end ):eek:

what about the one city being announced? I am suprised thats not a big hoopla on this board.

More cities more flying more new classes!!!!

aj:D

2004 SWA facts

Here are the SWA numbers/facts for 2004:

47 new aircraft deliveries
17 -200 retirements
30 net aircraft
One new city (at least)
No new crew base in the budget...tentatively pushed to 2005 now

Here are some of my opinions on hiring:
Manning is currently at minimum levels, IMO. Lots of JA/VJA events (i.e., extra flying at time and half pay) and extremely high reserve utilization. I forecast hiring at ~11 pilots per new jet, which translates into 330 new hires. Combined with ~120 pilot losses (e.g., age 60/early/medical retirements), it looks like 450 total new hires in 2004. With current pilot pool numbers (just under 200), SWA will interview to fill the ~250 new hire requirements not filled from the pool. Typical hiring ratios for a "positive hiring climate" like we are currently experiencing is 4:1, or interview four pilots to hire one. So look for around 1000 pilots called for interviews in 2004. I expect interviews to start in January.

Seeking further opinions

Rob Beeks,

Please if you would venture to answer or speculate, there are a few questions I have that I am wondering if you would have any answers to:

1. How is the interview process going to change. Some folks have been whispering about a "fedex style" interview?

2. When is the PD rolling out the online process?

3. When are the first people going to be called for the next wave of interviews?

4. Are you currently planning on changing your service to address these changes or is it wait and see...

5. Will the 1000 interviews or so be spread out throughout the year or would you expect SWA to be finished by say August '04. With that volume could you provide service to that many people in such a short period of time(about 80 per month or higher)?. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about your service.

I'M NOT AN EXPERT, BUT...

Not trying to steal any thunder from anyone, but I just heard this at a HPA/SWA conference this weekend in San Antonio:

SWA is considering a separate part of the interview which is a "Leadership Scenario". The Captain who talked to us said they will have two pilots who are on the "Leadership Interview" team (separate from the Oral Interview Team).

The two pilots will give the applicant a scenario, using a paper trainer and three chairs, with the applicant in the left seat and the two interviewers in the "copilot" and "jumpseat" chairs. Simulating whatever you need, the jumpseater, the copilot, ATIS, dispatcher, ATC, etc., the two interviewers will feed you information you ask for to resolve an aircraft emergency and weather scenario.

This will be a seven-minute, timed process and they are judging how you would handle the situation from a CRM/leadership point of view. Aviation knowledge is required, but 737 specific systems knowledge won't be expected. There will also be a debrief, where you can Monday-morning quarterback yourself on how you would have done better.

The scenario and the feedback you give in the debrief will be weighed into how you did overall.

Again, I'm not an expert. I'm on the outside looking in. But, this is what we were told by a SWA Captain who is involved in the interview process. Also, he said the "Leadership" Interview will take place in the AM previous to PM interviews and PM after an AM interview.

I sure hope the previous reply is not for real. I would hate to see that kind of interview process. In the past it has been based on people getting along rather than a scenario based interview. By doing so we end up eliminating a lot of good people if they don't respond to a what if very well.

I'm sure that if SWA implements this type of scenario into the process your success at the interview will not hinge entirely on the way you handle the "Leadership portion". Besides, who do you want in the left seat when the crapola hits the fan, a nice guy or someone who can delegate and make a command decision in a short period of time?

Latest resources

Back