EVA Air is hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Frenchy, ThreeGreens,

I think you are confusing a JAA License with an ICAO License. ICAO does not issue a license. If you hold a license issued my a member state, you have an ICAO license. The JAA license is the new common European license. If you are interested here is the information from the British CAA. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid25.pdf

The JAA ATPL can be issued at age 21, not 23 like the FAA. Takes 13 written exams,( I recall an exam fee of around $1000) of not one like the FAA. Requires an initial Class 1 medical, not at a designated examiner but at Aviation House, Gatwick, half day affair, normal FAA type plus eye drops, EKG, EEG, Lung Capacity, blood work, chest x-ray. Cost? around $500.

BTW I took the British Performance "A" exam many years ago. Only 4 questions, a book full of performance charts, graph paper, 4 hours to complete. Took ALL four hours.

Europeans joke that FAA ATPs come in cereal boxes at the same time the pilot unions in the USA are making the membership believe that they are earning the dues by protecting the membership by the threat of license harmonization. Real easy under the present rules for the British pilot to convert to an FAA license, very expensive in time and money for the USA pilot to go the other way.

Could it be?

Maybe the requirements are different for each country as the site says.
As I know for a fact as well that an Italian with an ICAO ATP has to take the written and flight test.
Sorry I am not confusing the ICAO with the JAA.
Italians do not have JAA.

You are right , I still remenber my initial medical I had to take it in the hospital, lasted the entire day ,I could not drive home with all the test it took me 1 day to recover,
For the written test to pass all of them between the French and the British it took about 2 years.
When I came here I started on a sunday , on tuesday noon I was done

Frenchy,

When I converted my FAA ATP to an East African ATPL I had to take Air Law, British ARB Performance "A", Morse Code exam, tone & lights, an Instrument rating, ARB written on the VC10.

When I converted it in the Philippines I was just handed the license. That is with the exception of the flight physical that was given by the Philippine Air Force.

Each country can set their own rules. The FAA normally requires the written and a flight test. I figure the whole process from a British to FAA license would take less than a week, FAA to JAA probably 6 months to a year unless you already had extensive international airline command experience.

Hope this helps to clear up your misunderstanding.

Fox,

Couldn't explain it better myself, just gettin tired arguing with people that think they know everything (like french and dutch people).

Last edited:
What is useful about this board is how it provides a method for people with a broad perspective of experience to learn something new.

What is not so useful is when an individual makes disparaging comments about a poster's nationality for no reason whatsoever. I read frenchy's posts and didn't see anything in the way of a "know it all attitude".

Pretty lame dude.

Unfortunately you always get this kind of people that put everybody in the same basket, and show a great deal of ignorance. (xenophobia)
I was wrong in my previous statement (about ICAO) and I learnt something. Isn't it the goal of a message board ?
As a foreigner I've learnt to deal with anti-foreigners. I recently flew with a guy that would state it loud and clear, he hated muslims, europeans, asians, russians, communists, etc...
Some tend to forget that americans also fly overseas, so they also take foreigner's job, it works both ways (just for the one that think foreigners take US pilots' jobs away). I used to fly with some americans in Europe and remember having a good time. I also learnt a lot from them too.
I have made the experience now that not everybody think this way, and those with an open mind will maybe also learn a few things from foreign pilots.

Have a great flight.

Latest resources

Back