• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Europe to the US in a light jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have done the trip a number of times in a Citation 500 (yuck). Shannon to Iceland to Sonderstrom to Frobisher Bay and onward. Depends on where in the US the final destination is. Sonderstrom to Goose/Gander if it is east of the Mississipi. Frobisher if west of the Mississippi. Avoid Narsarsuaq if possible. I would certainly have Universal Weather take care of the flight planning for you.

Gentleman,

I may have a trip coming up to pick up a stranded N registered CE-550 in the EU and bring it home to the States.

The airplane has a single FMS, Collins Pro Line II 3 tube EFIS, dual VHF, NO HF radios.

Any and all recommendations or advise for operating the airplane one way from Europe to the States? Visas, flight planning, regulatory requirements, etc.? I'm going to have to do my homework on this one and figured that you could all help me get started.

Thanks,
CK

Nothing wrong with sitting through an international class.

But its a cake-walk. You're not flying tracks which makes it just like you do in the states, nothing at all that you've never done before. File int'l flight plans just like you do when going to the Bahamas, Central and South America. Its actually very nice and easy going. No HF needed. All good English speaking all the way across. No rules that you already do not know. Go to Narsarsuaq in Greenland if the weather is good, no need to go all the way up north.

Bringing a Lear 60 back from Germany in a couple weeks. Its fun flying.

Planning is key to everything you do.

I don't know your airplane but do know that fuel will be a major consideration - you can never have too much. There really are no "alternates" in Iceland or Greenland, so keep that in mind. Even when its CAVU - somebody else's broken airplane in the middle of a single runway can become a problem. If you use a planning service, double check their flight plans - they're not always perfect. Trust but verify.

Weather. Know the weather on the day you fly and don't push your luck; the North Atlantic can get really nasty. It's better to wait for good weather - even if it takes a few days of delay. Iceland is very windy on the surface most of the time and there's no big choice of runways - expect strong crosswinds for landing. Wherever you choose to go in Greenland, again, WX is the key. There are no alternates per se, and only one runway - so know what you're going to do before you have to do it (if for some reason you can't land on schedule), and to be safe (in Greenland), you really need good VFR weather on arrival. At Narsarsuaq you can't go around. It's fine - but you must have good weather once you go into the fjord (its too narrow to turn around safely). You should do this crossing in the daytime - and if possible clear of cloud most of the way. Keep it simple for the first time.

European airspace is not difficult but some rules are different. Be aware of transition altitudes and transition levels before you go - they're not like the US. Understand QNH and QNE. Read up on that stuff and know it. Europeans have a different concept of "radar contact" - be aware of position reporting requirements. If you can take the course it's helpful but it is not a must if you do your homework.

[Assuming the a/c is not equipped] If you can get a portable GPS take the advice of the Fokker pilot and do it. It's nice to actually know where you are. Even on the northern route the ocean is still big. Some good survival equipment is not a bad idea, but having to put the airplane in the water for any reason will not be promising even with it. Good planning will prevent that. Should you lose and engine, know your opitions before it happens, from any point along your route.

Goose Bay is OK but I prefer Gander for the first NA arrival. Call it personal preference.

I've done this crossing in a lot less airplane (as well as a lot more airplane) than you will have and before there was any GPS, so it's not going to be difficult - if you do your homework, plan thoroughly (including the what ifs), know the weather in depth, and pay attention - you'll enjoy the experience.

Best of luck and have a nice flight.

Is the reg for MNPS airpspace, that the PIC has to have training (international ops) with in 24 months? If so, does it have to be a formalized Flight Safety type course or can it be an in house? Also, what does the SIC need to be legal?

Thank you-

Is the reg for MNPS airpspace, that the PIC has to have training (international ops) with in 24 months? If so, does it have to be a formalized Flight Safety type course or can it be an in house? Also, what does the SIC need to be legal?

Thank you-

Did some trips to Europe and I was thinking that its a requirement that both pilots have attended or completed a formal international procedures class. I might be wrong there....anyway, the FSI international procedures class in Wichita is good. Good guy that teaches it as well.

Have done the trip a number of times in a Citation 500 (yuck). Shannon to Iceland to Sonderstrom to Frobisher Bay and onward. Depends on where in the US the final destination is. Sonderstrom to Goose/Gander if it is east of the Mississipi. Frobisher if west of the Mississippi. Avoid Narsarsuaq if possible. I would certainly have Universal Weather take care of the flight planning for you.

We returned a westwind in 2005 from Hannover, DE

Used the same/similar route. We had 8.33 spacing though so we could go up to FL280 (non-rvsm)

Hannover - Edinburg - Keflavik - Sondrestrom Fjord - Frobisher/Iqaluit - Bangor - Charlotte - Atlanta

Total flight time: 12.3 hrs.
Date: April 1, 2005

Latest resources

Back