Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EU Open Skies just approved thru CANADA, ALPA losses again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately for ALPA, it has spent the last two decades so squarely alienating the junior pilots with the age 65 debacle, scope allowances, b scale, etc that a lot of pilots in their 30's and 40's don't trust anything that they say or do.

So very true.

ALPA sent out a mag a year ago telling us to tell the airways pilots (before their de-cert) how awesome ALPA was and they had an article highlighting their points.

All the points mentioned cockpit safety, working with the FAA for duty times, political clout...yet nowhere did I see anything...

..THAT DIRECTLY IMPACTED MY QUALITY OF LIFE!

You can talk about GPWS all you want, but those are mandated by the government. Our paychecks are not.

I've seen people talk about protecting A-Funds, helping with retirement, blastmails that talk about funding schedules. At no time have I seen anyone talk about crappy first year pay, "yeah we voted for it, but you know what? We are not going to stand for it."

ALPA has failed me and I'll gladly be managements pawn against older people and vote accordingly.

PS: I had no idea how screwed up our trade was until I talked to a union plumber. "I can quit from this job and at my next I'll still make 13th year pay. I mean, I am a plumber and I should be paid as such."

Last edited:
PS: I had no idea how screwed up our trade was until I talked to a union plumber. "I can quit from this job and at my next I'll still make 13th year pay. I mean, I am a plumber and I should be paid as such."

Rez? PNC_128? Calling all ALPA cheerleaders....

Didn't really mean for an ALPA bashing post....

Rez? PNC_128? Calling all ALPA cheerleaders....

Who is ALPA or any of the pilot unions, except ourselves? Rez and the others understand that the union is interested in what those who fund, organize and volunteer for the union are interested in. To that point it is no wonder that the airline unions, all of them, step on their young in a vain attempt to preserve an unsustainable ideal for the senior pilots.

ALPA is the main Professional Pilot Union and should work to advance the future of the industry and the profession. If I were ALPA president, I would set a floor for each type of aircraft that a pilot with a certain amount of experience can make, whatever that number is. Then make ALPA membership valuable, not just the aeromedical and safety stuff, because all pilots benefit now, but include jumpseats as well. ALPA jumpseats carry professional pilots to professional jobs. Obviously you would work with the current major unions to effect a transition. But imagine the power ALPA would really have over the industry if say MESA couldn't pay pilots in Hawaii $24 an hour by counting on others to transport cheap labor for free back and forth from the mainland.
Only when ALPA sets the standards and enforces them, will companies see the value in working with ALPA rather than always using pilot contracts against each other.
Now I know historians will say that leapfrogging eachothers contract has been a barginning tactic during the good time from way back when, but that just seems to get companies so far out of whack that they ultimately can't compete and fall on their swords.
A baseline for each aircraft indexed for inflation would go a long ways towards putting some security back into the profession.
Also, last idea, if any ALPA carrier were to need to furlough, and an ALPA carrier were hiring, they would hire from the furlough list first before taking on new bodies into the union. So once you were in the union, you had first dibs on new union jobs.
I know some will say the nonunion carriers would just undercut ALPA, but good luck staffing an airline that all have to live local, without the free commute, many a companies would be in worse shape.
Thoughts......

Rez,
I agree with you and not with the original poster, at least ALPA is involved and trying to put pennies on the tracks of the oncoming freight train of cabotage.....

Unfortunately for ALPA, it has spent the last two decades so squarely alienating the junior pilots with the age 65 debacle, scope allowances, b scale, etc that a lot of pilots in their 30's and 40's don't trust anything that they say or do.
I know you will say it's the individual MEC's that vote for this stuff, but somehow the union has to become tougher nationally and say, if your contract doesn't match X for this plane, then you are not ALLOWED into the union. Then say, ALPA jumpseats are for ALPA pilots and take a stand. Only then will pilots stand up for being part of their union.

We do agree, but with a huge difference. I don't think ALPA has any intention in stopping cabatog or putting pennies on the track to stop the damage as you say. SWA's domestic only operations will be severely damaged.

ALPA will sell out the junior pilots again as ALPA has every time to make some small gain for those nearing retirement at the expense of the entire industry concerning cabatoge.

ALPA has thrown the junior pilots under the bus so many times in the last 15 years, I have lost count. ALPA will never do anything for the whole. ALPA calls it politics. I call it betrayal.

Last edited:
We do agree, but with a huge difference. I don't think ALPA has any intention in stopping cabatog or putting pennies on the track to stop the damage as you say. SWA's domestic only operations will be severely damaged.

How does ALPA stop cabotage when the political machine, general public, special interests and corporations want it?

Putting the burden and responsibility on ALPA's shoulders is like expecting David without a slingshot to defeat Goliath....

ALPA will sell out the junior pilots again as ALPA has every time to make some small gain for those nearing retirement at the expense of the entire industry concerning cabatoge.

Maybe... if the junior pilots sit around and do nothing.... currently this is an invalid web address

www.juniorpilotsforchange.com

ALPA has thrown the junior pilots under the bus so many times in the last 15 years, I have lost count. ALPA will never do anything for the whole. ALPA calls it politics. I call it betrayal.

Agreed. Now what are the junior pilots going to do about it? Be sheep like they've been for 15 years?

Recall in ALPA's day First Officers only had 1/2 a vote.

If you want change for you, then you need to change.

During the last 15 years have the senior guys done much for the junior guys? Then why do you expect them to change? Is it fair to expect you to change?

Latest resources

Back