• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Etihad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not true. Locals do get canned as well. Just like everybody else, albeit it might take a bit more than an expat. They still get the boot.

Later,

yes it is true. Here is an old article but the proposed law recently passed.....

The National Human Resource Development and Employment Authority (Tanmia) has drawn up the plans, which if agreed, would make it illegal for nationals to lose their jobs unless for a violation of the labour laws, according to UAE daily Gulf News.

Feddah Lootah, the acting director general at Tanmia, said the proposal aimed to safeguard Emirati’s jobs in the private sector. "The main task of the authority is to preserve the jobs of Emiratis," he said.

Lootah's comments comes days after Dubai’s Police Chief warned that arbitrary layoffs of UAE nationals by private sector companies were in breach of the law and the country's traditions.

Lt Gen Dhahi Khalfan Tamim said the police would boycott companies that terminated nationals at short notice, using the global crisis as an excuse.

Tamina's draft proposals state that if a company is forced to terminate a local, because of restructuring or as a result of a merger, then it must inform the ministry of the intention before moving forward with the decision.

However, every possible avenue must be explored to keep a local employee in post before job loss will be sanctioned by the ministry.

Part-time working, relocation, salary review and extra training for an alternative post must all be considered, and it will be unlawful to terminate an Emirati for lack of qualifications and skills if the probation period has passed, it adds.

No time-frame has yet been given by the ministry as to when a decision on the Tanmia proposals will be made.

However, last week a group of Emiratis filed a complaint against Al Futtaim Group for arbitrary termination of their employment contracts, according to the same newspaper.

The labour laws that cover the termination of a worker's contract are set out in Article 120 – there are 10 cases in which an employer is legally allowed to end an employee's contract.

These include non-performance of basic duties, repeated violations despite warnings, professional mistakes resulting in substantial material loss to the employer and clear disregard for safety instructions in the workplace.

Furthermore, changes to the pension law are also in the pipeline that will see a clause included in the social insurance scheme stipulating that unemployment insurance must be available to nationals, Lootah revealed.

Just curious about Etihad...

Saw a flight crew in Paris the other week and had a few questions:

The Captain looked VERY young, was lightly bearded and of ME descent, the FO was also young looking European. They had about 10-12 FA's with them. That evening, saw another crew at the hotel with an older, clean cut Euorpean Captain and FO, and another guy with pilot uniform with two stripes (I think it was two... there had been a few glasses of wine at that point) with same number of FA's. Everyone looked and acted very professional.

What does Etihad fly into Paris? and is there a pilot seniorty system or has the hiring just been that intense? Its just that the first captain looked reallllly young, but who knows. What was the two striper (surely not a PFE in that fleet), and no, I didn't think to ask them while I was running around...

Thanks, and fly safe

The 2 Stripe theory is nothing to do with a PFE as you rightly mentioned, rather a Junior FO. After 3 years they give you a 3rd stripe.
I presume an old Brit/Euro BS.

By the way the mechanics are called engineers & all have some assortments of Stripes.

The younger Capt. you saw is most likely a 'Direct Entry Capt." Etihad has not been in ops that long so could not have started as a 'Second Officer' (1 Stripe) right after Flight School. Maybe around 21 years of age or something. The older European, definitely a Direct Entry!

The FA's uniform are more on the lines of a Business Attire. No stripes (If I recall correctly).

Hope this helps!

Fly Safe Everybody!

I have a co-worker here in HKG that left Etihad, as a senior FO, to come here to CX as an SO. He said the working conditions were terrible, rest given down-route, etc. He gave up a soon-to-be command spot to come here. Just food for thought.

box

I have a co-worker here in HKG that left Etihad, as a senior FO, to come here to CX as an SO. He said the working conditions were terrible, rest given down-route, etc. He gave up a soon-to-be command spot to come here. Just food for thought.

box

ask the few American Airlines folks over here on furlough which place is worse, one took the recall did 6 months then resigned and joined Etihad..it's all a personal choice, some like it here, some do not..I've done 18 yrs here, and never looked back,

ask the few American Airlines folks over here on furlough which place is worse, one took the recall did 6 months then resigned and joined Etihad..it's all a personal choice, some like it here, some do not..I've done 18 yrs here, and never looked back,

I think I know this guy ( if its him, he s also ex gulf air) along with 3 other guys at EY. 3 on the 320 fleet, one on 777. they are all as happy as can be. there are no such things such as rest given on your layover. you seem to be mistaken with Qatar Airways. one of my friends is American and left a decent 320 job in the USA for EY. he said it s the best decision, carreer-wise, he s ever made.
On the 320, they make about 8000 USD tax free (before the 85700 USD exemption applied to US citizens), have about 12-13 days off every month, 50-70 hours a month, and a ton of vacation/year. I heard there is also a great atmosphere, and they all seem to have adjusted to the Abu dhabi lifestyle, even though it did require some open-mindedness.

Latest resources

Back