• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Etihad info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any chance one of them will start doing "extended layovers"? Something like this would make these ME airlines far more attractive, but still allow them to officially base everyone in country.

That is an excellent idea! I've heard that one of the biggest reasons for M.E. only bases are due to the foreign employment laws and other legality issues. But if they choose this route, they could have their cake and eat it too. Would it take more manpower to run this sort of a schedule? Nevertheless, I wonder if EK/EY/QR have explored this option.

ME carriers get applicants from all over the world and they are not short on resumes, they don't have any need to cater to pilots from any country really, their offer is what it is, take it or leave it.

EK is short of pilots, and it will be getting a lot worse, as the pilot shortage progresses. I think they will have to have pilot bases outside of DXB to keep all their future planes flying.

cliff
HKG

QOL > Aircraft type, but...

Clearly nobody should EVER fixate on aircraft type, but if you really, really want to fly a Dreamliner (and you would rather not wait years at a Legacy), both Qatar and Etihad will be adding scores of them in the next 5 years. After an initial five 787s in 2012, Qatar will be adding one new 787 every three weeks for four years and Etihad has something like 55 firm 787 orders starting in 2014 with the 787-900 series.

Again, never fixate on the airplane type, but if you have 757/767 time and you don't mind the heat (in the desert), Qatar should be hiring into the 787 in the fall 2012/winter 2013 timeframe from what I hear... Just sayin...

Not sure if having Boeing time helps you get the 777/787 at Qatar vs. Airbus time. Can't figure that out. There seems to be a lot of hiring at Qatar on the A320 and A330 at the moment (787 ain't ready yet).

Regarding QR...after you submit an online application, how long does it usually take to hear back from them if you have an interview or not?

EK is short of pilots, and it will be getting a lot worse, as the pilot shortage progresses. I think they will have to have pilot bases outside of DXB to keep all their future planes flying.

cliff
HKG
I don't really think so, since they open the window for DEC's, they have been getting plenty of resumes from qualified pilots. It is very unlikely they will open bases abroad

cliff
HKG

Disagree. EK is not short pilots....if they were, they would have given a bonus for this year to attract more qualified people in addition to opening the DEC window.

No Bonus for this year....a raise is yet to be seen. There is still a steady stream of guys from failing carriers around the world and carriers like Ryanair who are feeding the need.

Varmint, short of pilots yes, applicants no

Latest resources

Back