Ethiopian Airlines trying to use the Irish back door

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DUBLINFLYER

Just got back from DUB and heard a report on the news there that Ethiopian Airlines were seeking permission from the DAA to land in DUB and use the US pre-clearance facilities and then fly on to the US (LAX) (probably pick up passengers as well). The US carriers using DUB told the DAA that they would pull all their flights out of Ireland if that were to happen.

This is why Norwegian is a threat and a big one.

Is Norwegian a flat out done deal. Had a friend say they have seen the airplane in the Bay Area

I thought we were holding them off?? Wth?

The Norwegian subsidiary that ALPA is fighting is not flying to the US yet. The Norwegian that is actually based in Norway and using Norwegian pilots does fly to the states.

Confusing...as it is meant to be

The pilots are not necessarily Norwegian nationals. The B787s that are flying to the States, and have been since last year are flown by the same flight deck crew that they always have been. The assets were just shifted to a different certificate to enable the LGW flying to commence.

Would you be happier if the pilots were Norwegian nationals? In any event they are mostly western European and all are EASA license holders.

Typhoonpilot

No information where I am indicates they are planning cabotage, but I don't get much information as it is. Rumored to be just a tech stop where they will augment loads by drop off on the way and not pick up, but that's just the rumor. Anyway, isn't the "Irish Back Door" only for carriers with an Irish AOC?

So, I walk into Haile's Ethiopian Bar and Grill the other day, and the bartender says...Hey, would you like a Guinness?

They were flying that 787 into four Lauderdale. Both times I saw it they canceled the flights due to maintenance issues.

Latest resources

Back