• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERJs Converted into Freighters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fedex scope does not allow feeders to fly any jets whatsoever but i was thinking about that the other day. every former regional plane has ended up flying cargo

I don't know about scheduled feeder freight in a RJ, but I could see it making it-eventually-in the non-sched world.

I mean, one day you'll need to replace the Falcon 20s. And there already are a few ad-hoc carriers that have both, a 135 side, as well as a 121 side.

So adding a RJ wouldn't be a problem.

Just my $0.02.

i don't see why it wouldn't happen one day, especially for the crj models which seem to have a larger cabin volume.

max weights:

metro light 3300-4300/ heavy 4500
1900C 6000
E120 8000 (7500 part 135)

brown still loads the E120 box by box through the aft cargo door and it takes about 30-40 minutes max.

what does an erj burn per hour? if comparable to an E120 it won't save much fuel based on time savings. our e120's (and metros for that matter) don't take a helluva lot more time to get to major west texas hubs than a 737 or erj.

With the ERJ I just dont see it. The thing can't carry any weight. I am always weight restricted in the damn thing.

Weight restricted??!!

9.5k pounds of petrol
50 peep
2000 lbs of cargo...still good to go.
What can't you do?:p

I don't think the ERJ has the floor loading strength and it uses way to much runway. We can operate a Falcon all the way down to 4000' and some change. I beleive it can takeoff @ 15C and requires somewhere around 6000 feet and some change. The ERJ can't do that, and we can operate our DC-9's all the way down to 5000' runways.

You can probably get 30 Saabs 340As for the price of one ERJ. The extra speed just doesnt matter that much for the overnight freight biz (thats why the 208s gear doesnt go up).
I always thought the CL-600 fuselage would make a good freighter when the price comes down.

Weight restricted yes. But thats with 45-50 people plus cargo and fuel. Take the seats, people, lav, and galley out that gets rid of alot of weight for cargo dont you think. Plus its usually the ER that is restricted the most the LRs do pretty well. I think its possible. I mean look how many of them there are flying now and the airlines are going to have them forever so someone will fly them or they will get parked. who knows it was just a thought.

If you wanna talk about cheap airplanes the CRJ are masters breaking in every stop while ERJ's rules with normal mx.
We operate both and all mechanics regret to be displaced from charlote to nashville because of a lot more work with CRJ's
don't let the appearance of a narrow fuselage make up your mind as our company also made a 4.7 g's landing on a ERJ and didn't break it while the DC9 was tested with 3g and the back separated from the rest of the fuselage.
Also the ERJ was certified to fly all over the planet including Russia the crj certification came later.
Plus ERJ's are a lot more pilot friendly with much, much more features.
And yes I flew both.
CRJ is a POS

Latest resources

Back