Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
How many of you think this will happen? It seems like you could take some of the erjs after the airlines are done with them and turn them into cargo planes and be feeders for fedex or ups. Just food for though i am just curious if this might happen in the future.

I doubt the ERJ fuselage will last long enough for this to happen. The jungle jet is aluminum can thin. This is just my personal speculation...

aren't all airplanes made of aluminum?

lets see:

the BE/C-99 (believe it or not) used to be regional feeder...

the SA-227 used to be a regional feeder...

the EMB-120 used to be a regional feeder...

i would think, perhaps not in my years, that the RJ's stand a good chance at joining the freighter ranks.

FG

WheramI wasn't saying the ERJ won't last because it's aluminum, he's saying it's cheaply built. I've never really looked at the construction of an ERJ, so perhaps they'll last, perhaps they won't. Time will tell.

Emb-110

EMB-110 also use to be used at the regionals it a cargo bird now...

If you really want to look back, 400 series Cessnas, Shorts, and lots of other ships were once used in some kind of airline.

Metros, ATR, BEECH 1900, there are quite a few airplanes that have made the leap over. Who knows it was just a thought. I think it could happen. It would have something like 10000 to 15000 lbs payload if it was converted i dont know what a typical cargo plane carries. Someone throw out some typical payload #s for light cargo plane.

The problem with the ERJ's though is that the fuselage diameter is too small to take a standard container. I really doubt that a cargo company is gonna pay for all the STC's, the conversion, big door, etc. just to bulk load it.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but isn't the ERJ fuselage the same diameter as the E-120, just stretched out? seems like a plausible but maybe not practical idea to me. I suppose it all depends on the cost of operation as the airframe ages further. With fuel prices being high and likely continuing to be that way, lift in larger turbo-props like the e-120, saab 340, and ATR's (see fedex) may be in the near-er future.

passenger airline pilot union scope usually forbid airplanes that carry in excess of a certain # of pax.

same scope issues at a cargo operator, however, the scope will usually forbid the company using an operator/aircraft that can contain a ULD, igloo, whatever you want to call it.

brown used to load the E-120 through the rear cargo door, box by box. took'em 2-3 hours a day to load the entire cargo hold. also, if your haulin' freight under 135 rules, your limited to 7500lbs.

FG

Latest resources

Back