Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
How many of you think this will happen? It seems like you could take some of the erjs after the airlines are done with them and turn them into cargo planes and be feeders for fedex or ups. Just food for though i am just curious if this might happen in the future.

You would have to find someone to take on the STC issues. A lot of money involved for a new cargo plane.

WOW...This could be the dumbest things I have ever saw posted on this website. The EMB is one of the most wieght restricted jets out there.

The cabin is also too narrow to make it very useful as a freighter.

SkyBoy1981 said:
The cabin is also too narrow to make it very useful as a freighter.

Hmm, like a Lear cabin?

Landing weight restricted 145LR at 47749#, meaning a 5200# burn, with a 8000# fuel load, and a BOW of 24805. Roughly. Considering all seats removed, galley removed, lav removed (maybe?), etc. The BOW of 24805 + 8000# for fuel, equals 32805. So the weight of aircraft and fuel considered, you'd have room for 14944# of cargo. What is the typical cargo load on say, a Shorts 360?

Anyways, I doubt it will happen. The airlines will ride these airplanes hard, then put them in the desert. This airplane sure ain't no B727.

FlyChicaga said:
Hmm, like a Lear cabin?

Landing weight restricted 145LR at 47749#, meaning a 5200# burn, with a 8000# fuel load, and a BOW of 24805. Roughly. Considering all seats removed, galley removed, lav removed (maybe?), etc. The BOW of 24805 + 8000# for fuel, equals 32805. So the weight of aircraft and fuel considered, you'd have room for 14944# of cargo. What is the typical cargo load on say, a Shorts 360?

Anyways, I doubt it will happen. The airlines will ride these airplanes hard, then put them in the desert. This airplane sure ain't no B727.

Very True, Its liike you said if you cleared out all the seats and lav and galley. Its bigger than a lear and the payload would be anywhere from 10000 to 15000 pounds. Just a thought. And i realize the weight restrictions that occur because i deal with it everyday but with no pax and an empty plane it would be a different story as a frieghter.Just a thought.

The floor and support structure is too light to be able to carry a load, pounds per square foot wise. The weight savings from the pax furnishings removal would be used to strengthen the floor structure. The fuselage structure is not condusive to installing a large hinged cargo door on the side of the fuselage because of the type of fuselage construction. The fuselage skin is chemically milled to reduce weight, which also weakens the strength, so you can't add a splice to it. Thats why when you see a skin repair, its an external scab patch, no way to do an internal repair.

One set of elevator and rudder cable's are routed vertically aft of the lav and forward of the cargo bin, so you'd have to have a good barrier to separarate the load from them. It would not be a good day if the cables got jammed from shifting cargo.
It would be too labor intensive to hand carry boxes thru the main cabin door and stack them in the cabin if you can't use LD style containers.

erj-145mech said:
The floor and support structure is too light to be able to carry a load, pounds per square foot wise. The weight savings from the pax furnishings removal would be used to strengthen the floor structure. The fuselage structure is not condusive to installing a large hinged cargo door on the side of the fuselage because of the type of fuselage construction. The fuselage skin is chemically milled to reduce weight, which also weakens the strength, so you can't add a splice to it. Thats why when you see a skin repair, its an external scab patch, no way to do an internal repair.

One set of elevator and rudder cable's are routed vertically aft of the lav and forward of the cargo bin, so you'd have to have a good barrier to separarate the load from them. It would not be a good day if the cables got jammed from shifting cargo.
It would be too labor intensive to hand carry boxes thru the main cabin door and stack them in the cabin if you can't use LD style containers.

I agree. I don't think you'd want to go splitting in to that fuselage to install a larger cargo door.

Latest resources

Back