ERJ Limits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

The flights to my home airport are changing from CRJ's to ERJ's. I've learned that the actual jumpseat in the CRJ is usually CG limited, what about the ERJ? CG lmited? Weight limited? Or both?

Just trying to plan my commute. Thanks

The flights to my home airport are changing from CRJ's to ERJ's. I've learned that the actual jumpseat in the CRJ is usually CG limited, what about the ERJ? CG lmited? Weight limited? Or both?

Just trying to plan my commute. Thanks

Depends on what airline you are talking about. With ExpressJet aircraft most or all of our aircraft have had weight modifications to allow more weight on board. If its a short flight you might run into a Landing structural issue. I have never seen a CG limit on the ERJ.

Which airline?

If its Eagle forget about it they are usually restricted to around 47 pax even when its clear and a million. Also they don't do their own w and B so they can't try to work the numbers. that said you never know. TSA and Chautauqua's ERJ's should be able to accommodate, but it will be tight. These are all almost landing weight restrictions. Also on the CRJ had 4 years on the airplane and never once had an issue of CG, that seems to be a Skywest thing. They use a 4 pax zones, which I believe is where the problem is. any way I have a new job where i am based at home so no more commuting for me (at least not without having a paid for ticket.) good luck.

IAlso on the CRJ had 4 years on the airplane and never once had an issue of CG, that seems to be a Skywest thing. They use a 4 pax zones, which I believe is where the problem is.

WOW!! So where is the problem if the CG was never an issue???

The problem with either of these airplanes is how much luggage people decide to bring with them. If you commute on a typically business travel route during the weekdays (like MCI-MSP) where people don't bring much, if any, luggage you are going to be screwed. If there is no luggage in the cargo bin there is nothing left to hold down the tail.

Eagle is putting the heavy weight mod on all of their 145, this will allow for a full load plus an ACM, this will help the commuters quite a bit.
And we can help with the W&B a little, if we know we have a guy trying to commute, we may massage the fuel numbers we send to the load planner.

As of 12/07 you have about a 1 in 3 chance at AE of scoring a heavy weight modifified EMB-145 (33 out of about 108 or so airplanes modified)......But the 140s and 135s are limited. all of the 145s will be modified by end of Q1 2008 according to company propaganda.

As a summary - the ERJ is fast but can't take everybody and their bags. The CRJ is slow but it can get everybody and their crap on board.

So with no alternate you may well find that the ERJ is still weight limited, I don't think I've ever seen a CRJ weight limited with no alternate (yes, I'm sure it happens, now regale us with your tails of being weight limited doing SLC-ATL in a 200).

Latest resources

Back