• Yes, but somewhat average

Votes: 78 32.9%
  • No, it compares well with others I have used

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • No, it is the best I've used

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
Rottweiller said:

About ten years ago all of us had to endure those infamous tapes at our company.:eek: For some reason the tapes just went away. :D

Same here. But wait! The course is now available for home use! Seriously though - If your employer won't pony up it will be the best money you ever spend on your education. I've suffered through the course twice. And if one more FO asks me to teach him radar in one flight I'll puke. It amazes how many pilots don't know the difference between convective weather and rain. Maybe they should learn a little about weather while they are at it.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13324

I know the ERJ uses Honeywell Primus EFIS, like the Dornier...just wondering if the radar is the same as well. We have the Primus 880 radar...it works VERY well.

Same EFIS, but it's running the 1000 series and not the 2000 like the the Dornier. NO VNAV, VHF preview mode, auto ID for the ILS, vertical profile display, etc. Can't bug MDA/DA, no audible VTA

VIVA THE 328!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same EFIS, but it's running the 1000 series and not the 2000 like the the Dornier. NO VNAV, VHF preview mode, auto ID for the ILS, vertical profile display, etc. Can't bug MDA/DA, no audible VTA

VIVA THE 328!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No VNAV on the 145? What's that little magenta glideslope that pops up? I guess baby VNAV?

No VNAV on the 145? What's that little magenta glideslope that pops up? I guess baby VNAV?

Pretty much. Or in a more technical term, it has what's known as VNAV advisory ONLY, as opposed to actual VNAV capability. When it gets a button on the MCP labeled "VNAV" and has the ability to couple and follow climb/descent profiles/schedules either from what's on the arrival/approach procedure or what's programmed in the PERF INIT, it's not really a VNAV system.

The CRJ got the same thing on the EICAS 2000 mod and it was referred to as the "snowflake".

I've used some pretty crappy radar in the past but I've seen more problems with people who have no idea of how to use radar (it's not just like the weather channel you know). On board radar is no more reliable than the operator.

100% correct. I have seen nearly 70% of pilots who incorrectly use or misinterpret radar imagery. I have take many hours of airborne radar studies and practical use and can tell you with confidence that 70% of you are misusing/poorly manipulating radar. It is the least understood and most improperly used instrument on-board.

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on radar technology. It could save your life or at minimum embarrassment from driving into an area that could have been avoided with proper equipment understanding.

As long as we're talking about the EMB...whats that pod looking thingy on the bottom of the XR? Missle defence? Super powered relief tube? Chemtrail dispenser?

Best,
Nu

Its where we keep the ASA management kool aid to dump it over Atlanta suburbs like Alpharetta and Kennesaw.

Seriously, it's a ventral tank

All good advice in this thread. I've been flying the ERJ for nearly 7 years, and after applying techniques I've learned through research and practical experience, I still think it leaves a lot to be desired. Of course it will paint the obvious storms that will cause damage/injury, and during the busy thunderstorm season it works quite well. During this time of year (Nov for example) with embedded cells and low freezing level, it might as well be turned off and don't plan on seeing anything more than 25 miles out. My worst turbulence encounters have been in the upper midwest or northeast during the seasonal transition. It's sometimes disconserting to hear mainline aircraft asking for deviations while we blindly plow along through whatever lies ahead. As before, at least the really hazardous weather is reflective enough to avoid.

Honeywell Primus 660 data
http://www.honeywell.com/sites/serv...t?docid=D7921978A-D1D0-2320-11C5-6BB6D3CB72D8

The new Honeywell Intuvue series (G650, A380, 777, 737NG,etc) sure looks impressive. I'm not sure what the A320 series use, but when jumpseating I'm usually amazed at the detail and distance at which it can show even weak non-hazardous precip.

http://www.newfromhoneywell.com/

Tilt control is essential. Ranging down as you approach is invaluable as well for evaluating size, intensity, and deviation strategy. You lose a lot of resolution keeping it out at 100+ range when working around cells.

My favorite: The guy who insists we deviate around the city of Chicago everytime you fly by Lake Michigan.

See my posts above (#18 and 19) from 2004. I agree. While the radar needs to be used a bit more actively than a radar mounted in a 757 with its huge dish, it has always kept me safe.

Latest resources

Back