• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERJ and the Wind

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was in Pit on Thursday and indeed it was not to fun below 10,000.

In CLE I beleave, CAL had a 737-800 weather vain 90 degrees and hit it's tail on a jetway! Now thats windy. :eek:

The CRJ doesn't have gust locks, but I thought you guys would like to hear my Thursday wind sob story anyway.

Got a call on Tuesday from (s)crew scheduling. "A check airman wants your day trip on Thursday, would you allow it?" Sure I said as I looked at the weather channel. Our contract requires us to either take it as a drop or sit last call reserve for the original duty period. I chose resv and commuted in to base (IAD) wed nite for a lazy day at the crash pad. Woke up late Thurs morning to the sound of howling winds and trees crashing in the neighborhood. Logged on to the company computer system from the pad and didn't see any scheduling notifications. Watched TV, read magazines, took a nap and retreived pieces of vinyl siding that were peeling off the house. Duty period expired, a nice dinner was had (hic, burp) and 7:50 pay was earned for my generosity.

On Friday I checked in for the same trip and asked my FO "so, how'ed it go yesterday with the check pilot? Did she get current?" My FO gave me the finger and threatened me with bodily harm if I ever did that to him again while relating 3 wind shear go arounds on the last leg home.

As the old saying goes: Flying in weather is 90% timing, 10% luck & 0% skill.

w4mch said:
...Duty period expired, a nice dinner was had (hic, burp) and 7:50 pay was earned for my generosity....
You guys get 7 hours 50 minutes of flight pay for reserve at ACA?

As I am a line holder and "allowed" an instructor to take my trip, I got the trip value (7:50) for the day in exchange for being placed on what we call RT(reserve for the original duty on/off period). I don't "do reserve" in the usual sense, but I think a reserve line is 75 hours for 11 days off. I think that works out to 3:45 per day, but there are ways to bump this up and make over 80 hrs/month if one is flexable. FWIW, my line this month is 19 off, 91 hrs guarantee with 8 days off for turkey day (not vacation). It is good to be single digit seniority. So far, I've had two days of self imposed RT (ResT?) this month and hope some instructor will pick up another one. They love high block day trips.

BTW, we do not have junior manning at ACA, but one can be extended (rarely happens) 4 hrs block/5 hours duty at the end of a trip, up to 14 hours scheduled duty.

Last edited:
ahh, thx for the reply.

Re: Re: ERJ and the Wind

erj-145mech said:
All this goes to show you that gust loads will not harm the cables.

And at XJT, we have discontinued the retrofit of the electro mechanical gust locks, due to an FAA AD note that is issued against them. Seems, that they are creating more problems than they are worth.

All good to know, thanks for the reply.

ERJ and the wind

As someone already pointed out, if you release the gustlock and let the yoke all the way back when downwind it will stay there and not get buffetted around and make scary noises.

In addition to this, I also put my lapbelt around the yoke (careful of the little plastic tube of wires and the shaker cables) and tighten it just to make sure it stays there.

Where do the controls lock on the BrasiliaJet?? On the BrasiliaProp we didn't have this problem, and we had a mechanical lock that held the controls full left and I think full forward. Worked pretty well but you couldn't taxi around with the controls locked.

On the CRJ, we don't need it with the hydraulic controls. Yet another reason I like it better than that Brasilia with 2 jet engines some TV screens and a new wing!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back