• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERAU in Daytona Beach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I instructed there in the 90's and it was a great place to work, instruct and get your time built. Good bennies and great weather. You also cant beat about 6 weeks a year. Daytona 500, bike week followed by 5 weeks of spring break. Much fun and good flying.

Instructed there for 4 years, great benefits, get a free degree while your there, medical/dental is great(same with vision). had plenty of 100hour pay periods. the hourly wage is low to start, but total compensation is out of this world. almost forgot 403b match is incredible, 5% plus match up to 3% TIAA/CREF(which is awesome). there are tons of ways to make soft money, by the time i left i would have 40 hours of pay before i ever got into an airplane or sat in a oral session. the resources available to instructors at ERAU are ssecond to none. It will be what you make it of course. the only problem is that ERAU has really "whitewashed" their student pool with their costs, i.e. the students are mostly rich, white brats.

"Besides, they have way too many rules there to have any fun."this is is because ERAU is run just like a major airline. Rules and Regs, if you want to become a pilot for a major airline you have to live and die by them.

It will roll said:
Dude Riddle is gay, dont instruct there. You will be with 300 hr dorks who think they are hot shots cuz they are College Senior's and get to walk around campus and look cool infront of 200 lb riddle chicks with their 2 gold bars. what tools. I instructed off campus and logged 20 hours a week at 20 bucks an hour in singles and multi. They make you wait like, 8 months for your "multi upgrade," please. Besides, they have way too many rules there to have any fun. They won't solo people unless winds are like 4 knots or less. Good luck having your student finish his private in less than 1 year and 10,000 bucks.

"Besides, they have way too many rules there to have any fun."this is is because ERAU is run just like a major airline. Rules and Regs, if you want to become a pilot for a major airline you have to live and die by them.

The rules and regs aren't bad to be honest. Frankly, I love how we have an ops manual. It ensures that the students show up each day. If they don't show up, they get fined and I still get paid.

The only thing I don't like about all of it is that the flight supervisors will ground the whole fleet during weather that they deem unsafe. The real issue with that is that some of them are known to be a bit *too* conservative. And since they're on salary, they don't care if they have to ground everyone. Of course us IPs are hourly, so we lose money if we have to cancel flights because of an overzealous supe.

But yes, the benefits are great and the overall quality of life is high. I'll be around 70-75 contact hours this pay period, which at $15.31/hour, isn't bad money for a CFI. Don't mind the 10-12 hour duty days, though.

you a flight instructor at riddle? i go to the kdab ERAU

The rules and regs aren't bad to be honest. Frankly, I love how we have an ops manual. It ensures that the students show up each day. If they don't show up, they get fined and I still get paid.

The only thing I don't like about all of it is that the flight supervisors will ground the whole fleet during weather that they deem unsafe. The real issue with that is that some of them are known to be a bit *too* conservative. And since they're on salary, they don't care if they have to ground everyone. Of course us IPs are hourly, so we lose money if we have to cancel flights because of an overzealous supe.

But yes, the benefits are great and the overall quality of life is high. I'll be around 70-75 contact hours this pay period, which at $15.31/hour, isn't bad money for a CFI. Don't mind the 10-12 hour duty days, though.

Latest resources

Back