ERAU hit by tornado

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airboss

No bashing please....just informative pics.

http://erau.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2027322&l=f1dd8&id=39700384

http://www.wesh.com/news/10581821/detail.html

F2 Tornado Rips Through Central Florida

Two Shelters Open; Hundreds Of Homes Damaged

POSTED: 10:18 am EST December 21, 2006
UPDATED: 8:17 pm EST December 25, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story Sign Up for Breaking News Alerts

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An F2 tornado left widespread damage across Central Florida on Christmas Day.
The National Weather Service confirmed that a tornado with winds around 120 mph touched down at an apartment complex in Daytona Beach on Monday afternoon.

WESH 2 Weather Plus meteorologist Amy Sweezey said F2 tornados produce wind speeds between 113 and 157 mph, similar to a Category 3 hurricane,
which produces winds between 111 and 130 mph.
The National Weather Service said it will send storm investigators to Leesburg and DeLand on Tuesday to determine if tornados touched down there, too.
People across Central Florida reported damage from the storms, including downed trees, damaged roofs, flipped trailers and injuries.
In Daytona Beach, the storms left a wide swath of damage, including downed trees and power lines and ripped off roofs, reported Volusia County bureau chief Claire Metz.

She said the primary area of damage is between Orange Avenue and International Speedway Boulevard and from Embry-Riddle University east to Beach Street.

The Sutton Place apartment complex on Nova Road, just west of Orange Avenue, was ravaged by an F2 tornado. Several of the buildings were demolished, with entire sides of buildings and the roof gone. Personal items, such as computers, furniture and Christmas trees, are exposed in the apartments.

Five people suffered minor injuries and a couple of people were briefly entrapped but they are OK.

Officials said there weren't more injuries because many people were not at home. Hundreds of people, including many college students, live in the apartments.

The entire place has been evacuated and the Red Cross has been called in to offer help. City officials have opened a shelter at the Daytona Beach City Church at 211 Bay Street.

The storm also caused extensive damage at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. Small planes flipped over, and one of the planes slammed into a university building.

Officials said 5,100 customers in Daytona Beach were without power at one point. As of Monday night, 4,300 were still without power.
The storms destroyed nine power poles and numerous feet of electrical line. Crews will work through the night to restore power, and they hope to get all but 200 to 400 customers back in service within 24 hours.
The damage from the storm caused Daytona Beach officials to close the following roads: Nova Road from Orange Avenue to Bellevue; Clyde Morris from Richard Petty to Bellevue; Bellevue Extension closed; Ridgewood Avenue closed from International Speedway Boulevard to Magnolia; Segrave from International Speedway Boulevard to Magnolia and Beach Street from International Speedway Boulevard to Magnolia.
In DeLand, between 100 and 200 homes were damaged and seven people were hurt, including two seriously.

Officials said homes in four mobile home parks in an unincorporated area north of DeLand were affected, including Orangewood Mobile Home Park, Fernwood Mobile Home Park, Meadowlea Estates and Rosewood Mobile Home Park.

The American Red Cross has opened an emergency shelter at Liberty Baptist Church at 1365 W. Plymouth Ave. in DeLand for residents whose homes were damaged and who have lost electricity.
Copyright 2006 by WESH.COM.

Last edited:
Some of my friends in Daytona say they've heard estimates that as many as 50 of the 63 or so airplanes on the Riddle flight line have been destroyed. Good thing nobody was killed or seriously injured.

I am fully expecting letter in the mail saying something like this....."Oh my god! Dear alumni of ERAU! Please help us! Now it's time to reach out and write us a check from your fat regional pay to support our kids to follow your footsteps"

I am fully expecting letter in the mail saying something like this....."Oh my god! Dear alumni of ERAU! Please help us! Now it's time to reach out and write us a check from your fat regional pay to support our kids to follow your footsteps"

Oh boy, I can just see that coming. I always laugh when I get ERAU asking me for money. I just toss it in the trash with a "You pay ME, and you pay me like s**t, so get bent."

Level 2 Tornado???? How can a level 2 tornado turn a Seminole into something the size of a dishwasher??

You can stab a hole in the wing of a Seminole with a sharp pencil probably. They're made of soda cans. Ever held a piece of aircraft grade sheet aluminum? Light aircraft are not tough. They are not designed to take any loads like getting whipped in the air and slammed down diagonally into a hangar.

Wow...is right...can some riddlians ring in on this...don't you guys have hangars to store the birds in over winter break or something?

Last edited:
Wow that sucks. Damage much worse than the 5 hurricanes and 1 flood I witnessed in my 4 years.

Latest resources

Back