• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

entry level light twin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why not an Aerostar? Faster for the same HP as the B58's/C310s but not quite the same load lifting ability. Fairly easy to handle **as long as you respect its peculiarities**. Not a short runway machine but that's not really limiting in the US.

If you want ~100kg (~220lb) extra useful load then some have wingtip extension mods that ups the MTOW to about 2600kg** at the cost of ~5 or 10 kts cruise. There are turbo & pressurised variants too.

**Is it 2690kg (~5700lb) or or something? It was 5 or 6 years ago since I was last involved with them.

Last edited:
Vector4fun said:
FN,

I saw this post today on the CPA web site, and remembered your "suggestion" of a C-320...;)

This morning I spoke by phone to a CPA member who purchased a Cessna 320 last year for about $70K. Five months ago, he put it in the shop for annual inspection. The flat rate was about $2,160 (relatively modest for an aircraft of this complexity).

After the inspection....
Hahaha...I started to have 320 Skyknight flash backs and I had to quickly reach around and feel if my wallet was still there! Nothing like a little Post Turbocharged Twin Cessna Traumatic Stress Syndrome. :D

BD King said:
I vote for a JATO assisted Champion Lancer

Like I said, I vote for the Lancer. I'm sorry for the bloke that bought the 320, but not that sorry. I turned down a corporate job Years ago flying from the States to St. Kitts because the airplane was a 320. No thank you.

Twin Beech 18 gets my vote.

Two round engines, a tailwheel, and deffinate "ramp appeal"!

You'll deffinatly be the only one in town.

I've seen several for sale in the 125k-200k.

Insurance, fuel, and maintence will eat you alive, though.

How could you get any cheaper - to operate and insure - than a twin Comanche?? Two -320's!! an AirCam!?
But I don't believe the mission has been defined. Building time? 2-3 people for regional travel? Professional (Dr, small business) transport??

One thing fairly certain on maintenance/annuals - turbocharged = more $$, injected is generally probably slightly more $$ than carbureted. Retract more than fixed (Partenavia P-68 is nice fixed gear light twin).

Actually, the wife managed to pull out the spec sheet from the FBO that brokered the 320, it sold in January of 2001...that magnificent bastard.

When I was a kid, I saw Kubric's "2001 a Space Odyssey" at the theaters. It was probably 1968...only four years after the 320 I was a partner on was made. Little was I to know, that 2001 was going to be a "Cash Odyssey" and that flights to the moon were not going to be every day travel...especially on PanAm!

True. The TwinCo is an amazing plane. You can get a good one for around $100k-$120k and spend another $100k like AOPA did making it "like new" and you've got a $1m plane for around $200k (consider a Seneca is almost a million after all is said and done).

dang it .. I wish I had $100k to blow making my Twinco like that AOPA plane.

fastandlow said:
How could you get any cheaper - to operate and insure - than a twin Comanche?? Two -320's!! an AirCam!?
But I don't believe the mission has been defined. Building time? 2-3 people for regional travel? Professional (Dr, small business) transport??

One thing fairly certain on maintenance/annuals - turbocharged = more $$, injected is generally probably slightly more $$ than carbureted. Retract more than fixed (Partenavia P-68 is nice fixed gear light twin).

PropsForward said:

Wow...that was pretty chilling. Here is what the NTSB has on that one.

NTSB Identification: FTW83FA424 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 21677.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, September 11, 1983 in PLAINVIEW, TX
Aircraft: PARTENAVIA P68C, registration: N29561
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

THE PLT WAS EXECUTING A HIGH SPEED PASS OVER THE RWY AT ABOUT 250 FT AGL. THE PLT THEN BEGAN A RAPID PULL-UP & BOTH WINGS SEPARATED JUST OUTBOARD OF THE ENG NACELLES. RECONSTRUCTION OF THE SEQUENCE FROM A VIDEOTAPE REVEALED THAT THE ACFT'S SPEED AT THE TIME OF THE WING SEPARATIONS WAS 220 KTS. VNE FOR THE ACFT IS 193 KTS. IT WAS CALCULATED THAT, AT 220 KTS & AN 8 DEG NOSE-UP PITCH, THE 'G' LOAD AT THE TIME OF THE WING SEPARATIONS WOULD HAVE BEEN 8.3 G'S.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

IN-FLIGHT PLANNING/DECISION..IMPROPER..PILOT IN COMMAND
OVERCONFIDENCE IN AIRCRAFT'S ABILITY..PILOT IN COMMAND
AIRSPEED..EXCEEDED..PILOT IN COMMAND
WING..OVERLOAD
DESIGN STRESS LIMITS OF AIRCRAFT..EXCEEDED..PILOT IN COMMAND

Contributing Factors

WING..FAILURE,TOTAL
WING..SEPARATION
Index for Sep1983 | Index of months

FN FAL said:
Wow...that was pretty chilling. Here is what the NTSB has on that one.

Like I said, a Champion Lancer, and why did you change your avitar, FN FAL? I prefered the reference to Mad Mike.

Latest resources

Back