Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Entering a spin from a power-off stall???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wish they would train us in them but I guess once I get my CFI ill get to do it.
You have the right to require your instructor to train you in spin entry, recovery, and avoidance of spins.

It is his/her obligation .

Had an airplane that had the angle of incidence on the wings adjusted so that it would fly straight, that would do the same thing. Some of the Eclipse 500's that I fly now have tabs on the flaps to make them fly straight as well I wonder if with the stall protection disabled if it would want to spin. One thing that used to help my student's especially with poer on stalls when the pitch angle is high up, look out the side windows and orient the wing with a road or terrain feature if you keep it in the same spot on the window during the stall you are coordinated. If it still spins then you know it's not the inclinometer.

Thank you for your EverDay Real-Life Instructing Report.

Any readers here still opposed to spin training for students?
I feel that spins and unusual attitudes should be enforced throughout all phases of flight training. There are too many pilots out there that have a fear of exceeding the normal flight regimes. Should the aircraft get in an unusual attitude or spin by their command or not, they need to be confident so that they may recover from the situation quickly.

I think it is unbelievable that people are not being taught the basics anymore. All students should be at least exposed to basic spin entry and recovery. Slips and skids up to the stall and recovery from incipient spins are basic skills that will make everyone a better pilot. There are many, many pilots out there that have never been anywhere close to the edge of the performance envelope. As an instructor, you owe it to yourself and your students to be comfortable and competent in these areas. If you are the least bit uncertain or unsure about spinning a 152, you better get some help with that.

I tell the student "how the hell do you get into a spin from a power off stall?"
As others have said, it sounds like a rigging issue.

Now, if you want to know how to SNAP-ROLL a 152 out of a power-off, full-flap stall, I had a student teach me that once.

Naturally, I was in the "classic flight instructor position"--feet crossed, left arm hanging behind the student's seat...but, quick reflexes prevailed, and I managed to promptly arrest the maneuver--at about 160 degrees of bank. :0

It's the only time I can honestly say that a student caught me completely off-guard.

Fly safe!

David

Any readers here still opposed to spin training for students?

Spin training is highly over rated. 80% of all spin incidents occur at 1000' or less. Most aircraft require 1000' plus to recover. Only 10% of accidents are the result of spins. People get far to excited about spin training in my opinion, while a little spin awareness never hurt anyone I don't see it being that valuable. For the inevitable response, I didn't say useless, I said not that valuable.

Doing stalls with different weight/CG configurations is probably more beneficial. Not as sexy as spins, but something which probably would teach a student something useful which they are more likely to encounter.

Fact is, a stall in any configuration can and will turn into an incipient spin if the stalled condition is aggravated by being uncoordinated. Agreed, that recognizing the onset of a stall in various configurations and attitudes is a great idea, and one that is not stressed enough.

Most teach a straight ahead power off stall with various flap settings and a power-on with a bank, simulating a takeoff because that's pretty much all the PTS asks for.

How many people teach trim stalls or accelerated stalls from a steep turn? Not teaching the spin recovery is assuming that your student will always react promptly and correctly at the first onset of the stall. What if they don't, or what if they are surprised by the stall for some reason and unable to recover before it goes incipient spin? You can't hide the fact that spins occur on the other side of that line, and not knowing what to do because you were only taught UP to the line, but not OVER it, is wrong in my opinion.

When I was a CFI, there were no less than 5 accidents at my home airport and neighboring ones, in everything from 152s to Navajos, caused by stall/spin on takeoff and stall/spin on a base to final cheated overshoot.

True it takes 600-800 feet to recover and that's from a spin you are ready for. Spins close to the ground are often unrecoverable and that's why stall avoidance and recognition of the first onset in different attitudes and configurations should be taught.

However stall/spins happen at altitude too where recovery permits. Often its an IFR/ spacial disorientation scenario. With training, the spin can be recognized and recovered the same way as when you are visual.

John F. Kennedy Jr's accident was a tragic example , but unfortunately it happens every day and never makes the news.

However stall/spins happen at altitude too where recovery permits. Often its an IFR/ spacial disorientation scenario. With training, the spin can be recognized and recovered the same way as when you are visual.

Anyone who can recognize and recover a spin in the clouds probably has enough training not to get into one in the first place.

I would hazard a guess the 20% of spins which do occur +1000' are probably 90% the result of training incidents with a CFI.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back