Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll give you this much.

Jetpipeovht said:
ALPA needs an overhaul, IT'S YOUR MONEY paying those dues and still no one does anything.

For years I watched ALPA from the outside and thought, "That's weak."

But for the last year and a half I've been watching ALPA from the inside and I just won't say what I'm thinking but it ain't good.

Jetpipe--You're crazy if you think an industry-wide walkout would help our collective situation.

As I said before, the President (Bush not Woerth), just wouldn't allow it to happen. Or more to the point, it happens and then everyone is fired.

How does that help pilots negotiate a better deal?

mar said:
For years I watched ALPA from the outside and thought, "That's weak."

But for the last year and a half I've been watching ALPA from the inside and I just won't say what I'm thinking but it ain't good.

Jetpipe--You're crazy if you think an industry-wide walkout would help our collective situation.

As I said before, the President (Bush not Woerth), just wouldn't allow it to happen. Or more to the point, it happens and then everyone is fired.

How does that help pilots negotiate a better deal?

What are we doing now to get a better deal? That is the only way that they will STOP and LISTEN, IMO. Otherwise CEO's and executives will continue to fill their bank accounts with our pensions and wages. They will continue to exploit our labor contracts and make us work for less and less. Is that a job worth keeping when you can qualify for food stamps when you are away from your family flying a multi-million aircraft with lives to be responsible for? Is that what being a pilot has come down to? being at the mercy of thieves? We need to do something and do something fast before foreign airlines can feed themselves in our own soil or outsource our jobs to third world countries. We are on the fast track to this outcome because our lack of unity and leadership will just sit back and let it happen.

My .02 cents. It's all I got.

AA717driver said:
The ALPA pilots have spoken. They won't do a thing to improve their situation if it will jeapordize their jobs. ALPA is finished.TC

I agree, but I think it's more a factor of leadership at ALPA... or lack thereof. Duane Worthless is finished. I have yet to meet an ALPA member who believes in the leadership at National. All politics is local so those of us who are whining really have our own MECs and LECs to blame. Heck, at NW quite a number of pilots didn't even bother to vote on a career altering contract. So some can't even blame their LEC, they can only blame themselves.

The real problem with the loss of backbone at ALPA rests with the direction we get from ALPA National. Duane Worthless has been like a deer-in-the-headlights over the past 4 years. He's not only diection-less... he's fallen asleep at the yoke. Had he taken a true leadership role and stood up to Wall Street and Washington, perhaps we might have been able to hold the line.

Oh, wait... he did FINALLY organize some sort of labor rally in DC on the 8th. Sorry, Duane, you're just a little too late. Like, ummm 4 years too late.

I do venture to say however, I don't see much of an alternative to ALPA.

Last edited:
Although I am not a fan of what is going on in our industry, jet-pipe does have some valid points.

Last edited:
Well as a simple solution, you could go to the polls in 06 and vote out all of the anti-labor politicians, but I don't see that happening. I figure it's kind of like the Lemming theory. Nobody gets a clue untill your lying on the rocks a wondering what went wrong.

Mach 80 said:
-----------
The only way for us to have leverage over all this chaos among us is to UNITE ALL ALPA pilots and just walk off the job saying ENOUGH is ENOUGH.
------------

I always like it when someone thinks ALL airline pilots are in ALPA.

You better include the SWA, JetBlue, and other pilot groups if you are serious. Otherwise, a very nice windfall for them in picking up the slack.

Southwest is ALPA Mach 80...and the rampers and agents are IAM...the mechanics are teamsters however.

I nominate Jetpipe for ALPA president!!

DW can kiss Jetpipe's enlightened ass and anybody who doesn't agree with jetpipe is a coward and traitor to us all just like Duane Woerth who is lining his pocket "executive style" on our collective dime.

Jetpipe speaks the truth.

I will never vote Republican again.

Howard Johnson is right!!!!!!!

JD2003 said:
Southwest is ALPA Mach 80...and the rampers and agents are IAM...the mechanics are teamsters however.

Southwest is NOT ALPA, JD2003. They have their own in-house, SWAPA. So, it's hard to take your rant seriously when you are correcting others with your own misinformation.

whymeworry? said:
I agree, but I think it's more a factor of leadership at ALPA... or lack thereof. Duane Worthless is finished. I have yet to meet an ALPA member who believes in the leadership at National. All politics is local so those of us who are whining really have our own MECs and LECs to blame. Heck, at NW quite a number of pilots didn't even bother to vote on a career altering contract. So some can't even blame their LEC, they can only blame themselves.

The real problem with the loss of backbone at ALPA rests with the direction we get from ALPA National. Duane Worthless has been like a deer-in-the-headlights over the past 4 years. He's not only diection-less... he's fallen asleep at the yoke. Had he taken a true leadership role and stood up to Wall Street and Washington, perhaps we might have been able to hold the line.

Oh, wait... he did FINALLY organize some sort of labor rally in DC on the 8th. Sorry, Duane, you're just a little too late. Like, ummm 4 years too late.

I do venture to say however, I don't see much of an alternative to ALPA.

Well said, every word the gospel truth. I'll put the old lady to work in a whorehouse before I give another nickel to ALPA, with dandy Duane at the tiller. I'm waiting for "Flying the line, part III- Woerth sinks the good ship ALPA"

Latest resources

Back