Enlisting with guard/reserve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

What do you, who have done it, or are doing it, think of enlisting with the guard/reserve for the Air Force, Navy or Coast Guard. What is it like, and is it something that you recommend?

Thanks.

I enlisted in the Air Guard while in college. It was the only way I got myself through college. The state pays somewhere between 50-100% of your college tuition, plus the VA pays you just to go to school. Plus you make money by attending drill weekends, and in my case I got a full-time job at the base as well, which altogether is how I paid for all my flying and school.

To top it off, when I graduated, I was selected to go to UPT. One and a half years later, I came back from training and flew with the unit for about 6 years.

Yes, I highly recommend it! Plus, most Guard units would like to hire from within if they can, so if you do a good job and get to know as many people (in the right places) as you can, you should have a pretty good shot at a pilot slot.

Big Duke Six said:
I enlisted in the Air Guard while in college. It was the only way I got myself through college. The state pays somewhere between 50-100% of your college tuition, plus the VA pays you just to go to school. Plus you make money by attending drill weekends, and in my case I got a full-time job at the base as well, which altogether is how I paid for all my flying and school.

To top it off, when I graduated, I was selected to go to UPT. One and a half years later, I came back from training and flew with the unit for about 6 years.

Yes, I highly recommend it! Plus, most Guard units would like to hire from within if they can, so if you do a good job and get to know as many people (in the right places) as you can, you should have a pretty good shot at a pilot slot.

I live in Louisiana, and they pay 100% of your tuition. I have three years left of college, and I would love to enlist into the ANG. 100% tuition being paid for is hard to beat! I was thinking really hard about doing ROTC, and some of you may remember my thread in which I asked about that. But, I am thinking of another route now, which involves the ANG.

The problem with ROTC is that it just seems to involve ALOT of extra curricular activity as well as classes that will take away from my focus on my school work/degree, which is where it needs to be. While everyone has said it is a great thing to do, it seems like it involves alot and is stressful at times. Not that I am looking for the easy way, but I need to focus on getting my grades back up, having has a bad semester a semester ago, and I am now fearing that ROTC would begin to take away from that with the classes, the LLabs, PT sessions, as well as the other activities they expect you do take part in, especially if you want a pilot slot.

I was instead thinking of enlisting into the ANG. Having college paid for, focus on getting really good grades, working on my flying ratings (which I understand, since in ANG, I could use the G.I. Bill to help pay for ...is this correct?). I could do this and focus on these things rather than all of the things that I must keep up with when it comes to ROTC. After graduation I could try for a slot within the unit, or if I still have a desire for AD, then I can apply to OTS. If I did this, having been in the ANG for 3 years, I could have some good LOR, as well as put on the application that I am in ANG, which I would assume would look really good.

Thanks, Big Duke Six, that is exactly the response I was looking for, as you appear to have done exactly what I am looking to do, with college, etc.

I enlisted for a short while. I can share my thoughts with you here or you can PM me.

By the way, are you primarily focused on fighters?

Yes, the Montgomery G.I. Bill can help you with flight training. Chapter 106 of the bill governs the process.

In a nutshell, you must have your PPL before using the flight training benefits. Then, you pay upfront for all training, then apply for reimbursement. The school must be approved. That usually means a Part 141 flying school. Some large military flying clubs (Quantico MCAS, Virginia is one.) are approved schools. Use one of those if you can. You get more flying for the dollar. The school should have someone there who can assist you with the paper work.

I obtained my CFII and MEI using the Montgomery G.I. Bill. It does work.

Fly safe!

If I had it to do all over again.....enlist now asap. School will be paid for and your time in service for pay purposes will accrue. It is a great gig. If you want to fly fighters be sure to enlist and be part of OPS. There are plenty of fighter units in LA that would probably work for you. Well until BRAC this summer. Good luck and don't quit on your dreams of flying fighters/military.

-W-

"If you want to fly fighters be sure to enlist and be part of OPS."

Enlisting in Ops is great because of the opportunity for face time with the pilots; however, that advantage only applies to the unit you're enlisted with.

In my humble (and speculative) opinion, any fighter board might be less prone to question an applicant's "fighter mentality" if he served in a high-speed AFSC such as TACP,CC,Combat Wx, or Pararescue. On a side note, if you really love pain, then look into some of the Guard PJ units. The CSAR mission has to be extremely rewarding. (Better be in shape though, I heard their tech school dropout rate is even higher than that of BUDS.)

Chris, one more TACP advantage that I forgot to mention in our last coversation is that most of the ALOs in TACP units are ex-fighter guys and can serve as great contacts/references.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
JUst talked to a recruiter today. He said that they had over 15 applicants from INSIDE the unit last year for one spot. SNAP! Does anyone know the odds of being selected once elisted? Thanks!

Oh ya, one more thing. What are some of the cool-er jobs?

Sorry to hijack, but I figure this is better than starting a new similiar thread...

urflyingme?! said:
JUst talked to a recruiter today. He said that they had over 15 applicants from INSIDE the unit last year for one spot. SNAP! Does anyone know the odds of being selected once elisted? Thanks!

Don't always believe the recruiters. He may be telling you that to get you to go active duty, or some other crap. They have their interest in mind. You guys need to look at the Navy reserves, we have the best A schools. Crap you can use in CIV life instead of cleaning planes in the ANG.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back