Enlisting, Finishing degree, and Commissioning

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

I've read about, and heard of those applying for pilot slots from active duty. I was thinking of enlisting, finishing my degree, and then applying for a pilot slot from active duty. This is for the Air Force. Have any of you done this, or know someone who has? Is it harder to get a pilot slot that way, or do you have just as good a chance as any other method?

Also ... If I were to do this, are there any specific enlisted careers the Air Force may find more attractive on your resume, and pilot application? For example, would they like to see someone who has been an enlisted Air Crew and flown, or would they rather someone from maintenance, or Computers, etc.?

Keep in mind I am not wanting to enlist because I feel it offers me a better chance at a slot. I have a desire to serve even now, before being qualified to apply for a pilot slot. Im majoring in Computer Information Systems now, and was considering enlisting into a computer field, which I understand offers good working hours, and thus time to complete a degree, for the most part, on the Air Force's dime. I have a Private Pilot License, and in the mean time would also get my instrument and what ever else I can to add to my experience, and help my chances of a slot.

Any advice is welcome!

-Thanks

If you are talking about enlisting active duty...bad idea. ANG/RES...Good idea.

What about ROTC? Make sure you do this with your ultimate goal in mind.

Some states even pay for 100% of tuition.

Hope my short and sweet answer helped

USMCAirWinger said:

What about ROTC? Make sure you do this with your ultimate goal in mind.

Some states even pay for 100% of tuition.

Hope my short and sweet answer helped

What reasons would make it a bad idea?

USMCAirWinger said:

I concur. Getting an OTS slot while on active duty is even more competitive than applying as a civilian or a reservist. After leaving the Marine Reserve I went to the AF Reserve and am an NCO with a Fighter Wing. I've submitted my package for an OTS pilot slot and went through the exact same process as the civilians applying, only my interview was with my commander and now I've got a bunch of great letters from officers.

At the same time I'm pursuing various Guard units around the country. My reason for going to the AF Reserve was similar reasoning to your own, I just wanted to get back in the military, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to be an insider with regard to my ultimate goal. At this point I'm not so convinced of that logic. PLENTY of civilians get hired through both OTS and the Guard. However, active duty will lock you in, with only a small chance at becoming an officer and/or pilot. Like I said, active duty OTS selection rate is significantly lower than that of civilians/reservists.

The next rated board for OTS meets in March. If you really work at it you could get everything done in time to meet it. (That's the board I'm meeting.) It's only for pilot/nav/abm wannabes. You select your 1st 2nd and 3rd choice, or you can select only one if you want, and that's all they'll consider you for.

As far as ROTC goes, I took a hard look at that as well, did a couple semesters. Trouble is you must contract long before you know if you've been selected for a rated pilot slot or not. At my detachment there were an awful lot of broken hearts come selection time. For my money, it doesn't get much better than OTS. You either get what you want, or you get nothing at all. ;)

Go Guard

The Air Guard is the best kept secret in the military. I'd strongly recommend looking into the ANG or AFRES. Many units have a history of hiring pilots from within.

Working in operations or maintenance is a good opportunit to meet the pilots who will make the hiring decision. It gives you a good opportunity to prove your work ethic and value to the unit. When it's time for the selection board, you are a known quantity and less of a risk than an outsider.

The education benefits are outstanding, but do vary slightly from state to state within the Guard. You'll get a more time to focus on your education and won't have to switch colleges for PCS moves like on Active Duty.

Go Guard/Reserve. The active duty OTS Pilot slots are getting scarce. Most of the guys I know get Navigator slots. It seems we have an overage of Officers and they are kicking out 0-2's. If you go active duty, the needs of the Air Force come first and you may never have time to attain your goals. The same can be said with the Guard/Reserve. Just remember when you take the oath, the service comes first not college or whatever else you want to do with your life. I've had 22 great years in the USAF.

Big Toe

The ANG/AFR would be a much better choice that enlisting AD. When I was on AD I did't know too many enlisted guys that were able to make a whole lot of headway on their degrees due to a large number of deployments and a crazy ops. For the most part, asking for time off for classes doesn't get you very far. I'm in the ANG in IL now, and if you inlist here and go to a state school you get 100% tutition plus 100% of your flight fee if you are in a flying program.
Do consider ROTC and the Air Force Academy as well. If you want to be a pilot on active duty, then one of these would be the way to go.

Latest resources

Back