• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
I don't like to assume, so I'll ask:

Has anyone here, or does anyone here know someone who has ... transitioned from enlisted crew to a flying position in the National Guard? Did it help the process to be a 15T/15R/15S first, or was that a negative (I don't wanna assume)?

Danke Schon ...

Herr Minhberg

Minh, you'll probably be blazing new trails already when you show up to Eustis or Rucker as a 42 year old 15T AIT student. We tip our hats to you. Somebody smarter than me will know the current regs, but believe that "up to 52 years old" age waiver for prior-service does not apply to IERW school. Maybe it does, the Guard does things "differently" but I've not heard of anyone over 40. I did hear of someone who was 40 at graduation with waivers up the kazoo. Maybe you'll be the first over-40 fart to make it. Research the regs and do a hell of a good job as a 15T. Almost anything is waiverable if the timing is right. Good luck.

Almost anything is waiverable if the timing is right.
LOL! I'm hoping so! :D

The word I got was that even RW flight slots are now 'waiverable' past 38yo for prior service, but I do not, in fact, have official confirmation of that as yet. And besides ... if I never do anything more than work on 'em and man a door gun, that'll be very cool, also. It'll be an honor just to serve again. As long as I don't have to hump a rucksack again. :D

Minh "Old Fart" Thong

Snakum said:
I don't like to assume, so I'll ask:

Has anyone here, or does anyone here know someone who has ... transitioned from enlisted crew to a flying position in the National Guard? Did it help the process to be a 15T/15R/15S first, or was that a negative (I don't wanna assume)?

Danke Schon ...

Herr Minhberg

Yes, I have know several. There are some who believe the experience gives you a leg up in the selection process. I don't know how the numbers fall out to say if that is true or not. Can't imagine it would be a negative though since the unit is the one sending bodies to fill the slot. So, if you consistently piss off the SP when you crew for him then maybe the FC won't be so inclined to send you down. Even if he does, remember that RL progression can be much sloooooower in the Guard, and most of the SPs have very long memories.

As far as the age is concerned, I agree with BS; anything can be and probably has been waived in the NG. You would have to witness a PT test to believe it.

You would have to witness a PT test to believe it
LOL! :D

Thanks for all your help, T.

Minh

My cousin was a enlisted guner, got out and went W/O, first in the OH-58, then to the C-21. He just got back from Iraq. Good luck.

I'm a 15T and I can tell you that if you are a CE first you will be much better off in flight school. You will be well ahead of most other people in your class. Or should be anyways!

You will be well ahead of most other people in your class.
And I'll be about twice their age, as well. :D

Still trying to get the 'official' word on NG WOFT age waivers ...

Minh
(Looks like I might be back to humping a rucksack in and out of Bradly :()

Snakum said:
And I'll be about twice their age, as well. :D

Still trying to get the 'official' word on NG WOFT age waivers ...

Minh
(Looks like I might be back to humping a rucksack in and out of Bradly :()

Hope not. You've done your time. Now you should be slinging grunts out of a Hawk's side doors .

I do believe that an ex-grunt makes the best aviator- front or back.

Latest resources

Back