Engine failure on takeoff and between V2 and Vyse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks, it is a SA-227.

I was curious what the norm was for diffierent airframes/operators. In my company there are two schools of thought:

1st school - If above Vyse then pitch to slow to Vyse. If below Vyse then pitch for V2.

2nd - always pitch to V2.

This difference in thought reared its ugly head when the AA DC-10 crashed in Chicago. When the engine removed itself from the airplane, it took out some hydraulic lines which caused the slats to retract. When they retracted, the stall speed on that wing increased. The airplane at this point was above V2 and was flying but the airplane was pitched to V2 and that wing stalled, causing the airplane to roll. I don't know if it has been proven but many people believe that if the airplane was kept at V2+whatever, then that wing wouldn't have stalled.

Actually V2 is similar to Vxse. You maintainV2 to obtain a 2.4% net climb ratio, then accell to Vfr and climb out at Vfs (final segment) which is similar to Vyse

That makes more sense. I stand corrected.

In said scenario in the gulfstream IV you would hold V2+10 (125kts) until reaching 1500ft. or terrain clearance.

If I am below the obstacles, I'll pitch for and climb out at V2. If I am above the obstacles then it will be Vfs or Venr in the Citation world.

Actually V2 is similar to Vxse. You maintainV2 to obtain a 2.4% net climb ratio, then accell to Vfr and climb out at Vfs (final segment) which is similar to Vyse

Close, but it's 2.4% gross which is 1.6% net climb gradient.

This difference in thought reared its ugly head when the AA DC-10 crashed in Chicago. When the engine removed itself from the airplane, it took out some hydraulic lines which caused the slats to retract. When they retracted, the stall speed on that wing increased. The airplane at this point was above V2 and was flying but the airplane was pitched to V2 and that wing stalled, causing the airplane to roll. I don't know if it has been proven but many people believe that if the airplane was kept at V2+whatever, then that wing wouldn't have stalled.

Yep. I was told the same story in sim recurrent once. Just "hold" what you have at the time things went Tango Uniform. I think it is a good policy. On the other hand, if I am in "the soup" and in "the rocks", pitching to V2 would be wise. As with all things in aviation, the real answer is: it depends on the situation

I had this happen just a few weeks ago. The right engine came apart just after I called for gear up on take-off.

We were just a few hundred pounds below max take-off weight.

Technically I should have pitched to V2 but since it was VFR I kept the configuration the same (gear-up/flaps 20) and entered left closed traffic and landed without further issue.

One of the things I tried to teach as an instructor in the airline world was we get so wrapped up in the minutia of procedures (in and of itself not bad sometimes) that we forget the over riding theme is to get the aircraft safely on the ground after and emergency occurs.

My two eyes were the best obstacle clearance tools at that time.

Yep, we were taught the same at the airlines...accept whatever IAS is at the time of the OEI, if above V2, and fly that speed. IAS was a callout to the NFP.

If I recall, the only deviation from this was if a V2 speed was specifically assigned for a SDP, and you had not passed the point where a higher speed was dictated.

Latest resources

Back